Chapter 42: The Dark

I feel like I may have worried a few people with the previous chapter... and you thought Sabrina was the biggest threat😏just as an aside, wtf is going on with season 3 right now? I'm honestly dreading the thought of getting that far and trying to make sense of the storylines for this book lol

Chapter 42 <> The Dark

CJ hated being ignored

CJ hated being ignored. The thought of someone being so important that they continuously run through your mind - even when you wish for them not to do so - while being doubtful that they were currently experiencing the same constant longing, was perhaps one of the worst feelings in the world. Admittedly, CJ hadn't gone out of his way to contact Cheryl since their small disagreement, having been busy with restoring the Ho Zone while receiving little to no news about the Serpent culprits.

He'd sent a text, perhaps two, but had not been graced with so much as a sarcastic response delicately ordering him to 'fuck off' in less of a vulgar way. The lack of contact did little to bother CJ while he was being kept busy, however it was the brief moments he would get to himself where he began to feel both worry and irritation. At one point Sabrina had managed to waltz into his office to find him staring at the phone on the desk in front of him with twitching fingers, clearly itching to attempt to contact Cheryl once more without imposing on the space that she was putting between them.

"Boss," She called from the doorway, making CJ's doubtful glare snap up to meet her own. "Look, it's clear this is still about your girl so either call her or put the phone away and help us bring some of the boxes of glasses in off of the sidewalk. Sitting in here staring at the desk isn't productive CJ, you know that."

"I just don't know what to do." He admitted, throwing himself back against his chair, clearly annoyed at himself. "I ain't really had a real girl like her before, you know? I'm just, not cut out for drama and I'm really-"

"Sexually frustrated." Sabrina joked knowingly.

"Well I was gonna say worried about losin' her since there could be anyone sniffin' around her when I'm not there." CJ corrected. "But yeah, that too I guess."

"Well, how about you take your mind off it by lifting some heavy boxes." She goaded, sarcastic as usual. "Come get your daily workout in before all that's left is the really heavy ones."

"I'd be capable of liftin' the heavy ones, Spellman." He scoffed, pocketing his phone while he rose from behind the desk.

"Not with those arms."

"Spellman I will throw you in Sweetwater River."

"Hey, I'm not saying..." She mumbled slyly as they meandered their way towards the nearby exit in order to save their new stock from classic Southside theft. "I'm just saying... I've never seen you head off to the gym or anything."

"There's some weights and shit in the back of the House of the Dead." CJ replied. "My cardio sucks though 'cause I don't like to run."

"Unless you're running away from the cops."