Chapter 40: Jacuzzi Justification

Chapter 40 <> Jacuzzi Justification

"So what're we drinkin' here?" CJ questioned the core four as he and Cheryl emerged from their room

"So what're we drinkin' here?" CJ questioned the core four as he and Cheryl emerged from their room. He'd suggested that they lay low for a while and let the drama settle and by the time they chose to leave the room the teens were all seated with a green concoction.

"My jalapeño margaritas." Veronica said, gesturing to the additional two on the table with a slight nod of her head. "Try them, they're one of my many specialties." She encouraged as CJ sat down on the remaining chair while Cheryl took the drinks, aware of the stares from her peers. Cheryl sat down sideways on his lap and passed him one of the drinks, immediately feeling his free arm curl around her back to pull her close protectively.

"I'd like to propose a toast." Jughead said, rising from his seat the moment his brother was about to take a sip from the glass. CJ rolled his eyes and rested his stubbly chin on Cheryl's shoulder while he waited impatiently. "To the Lodges, to their hospitality, and to putting the past behind us."

"Cheers," Veronica beamed, holding up her glass along with everyone else so that they could knock the rims carefully against each other's.

"So do your parents come up here a lot these days Veronica?" Jughead questioned. Meanwhile CJ, ever the experienced drinker, had already downed half of the contents of the glass much to Cheryl's amusement.

"Not as much as they'd like." Veronica answered. "Daddy's such a workaholic, you know."

"On the SoDale project?" Jughead continued to question, earning a simple nod from Veronica. "How's that going is it heating up? Is it getting intense?"

"It is. Luckily, Archie's dad is doing such a superb job of keeping everything on schedule."

"V, tell us more about your fancy neighbours." Betty suddenly cut in, clearly aiming to redirect the conversation. Much to the amusement of both CJ and Cheryl, the attempt failed miserably.

"Yeah," Jughead spoke once more. "Are they in the same business as your dad?"

"Jughead." Betty whispered in annoyance. "I mean it."

"Guys what's up?" Archie questioned.

"Betty, I'm just making idle conversation," CJ snorted at his brother's blatant lie. "I'm sorry, please continue."

"It's a hodgepodge really." Veronica said. "Some are in entertainment, some are in business, some are in real estate."

"You know what's weird?"

"No but you're probably gonna tell us, right bro?" CJ piped up. Jughead glared at his brother's interruption but the positive of the cheeky smile he received from Cheryl certainly outweighed the negative.

"Anyway, as we were driving up here I noticed that none of the houses have mailboxes or numbers or anything on them, why is that?"

"Shadow Lake is a pretty private community." Veronica answered vaguely, leaving it up to the imagination of those listening. CJ automatically knew what she meant and deep down was a little relieved that he'd remembered his gun, even if it had caused a small dispute with his favourite girl.