Entry #7

I am not sure if what I am doing is the right thing.

As you may have heard, Miss Anna White had passed away a year before I became the head butler of Miss Emily Jones, the adopted ward of Mr Arthur Kirkland, the personification of Britain. It had been an honor to be hired to care for Mr Arthur's ward, a young child who, to my surprise, was in reality a female. Nonetheless, I agreed to keep silent about it, but I was baffled that Mr Arthur did not know this small fact.

Perhaps it was better that he did not.

Now that I am Miss Emily's head butler, however, I fear that you were right Miss Anna; the tragedies that befell Miss Emily are far from over.

I found this diary lying in my new room when I first became the head butler, and upon reading what I saw, I was hesitant to comply with the demands. Although I may not have been here as long as Miss Anna had, I felt her insecurities, her pain, and the grief she felt with Miss Emily as she watched our mistress' children die.

I could not believe that all this happened to my young mistress. When I first met her, she never mentioned any children, in fact no other servant would speak of it, and this diary I am writing in now has told me otherwise.

I felt it impossible and hard to believe; How could a mother forget her own children? It was something that, I am ashamed to admit, horrified and disgusted me, for I felt that a mother should never forget her children, no matter how painful it is.

It was a hypocritical thought, and I have realized that years later as I write this.

Either way, the day this happened, it had been a little over ten years after the unfortunate and tragic deaths of Miss Caroline, Miss Elara, and Mr Alejandro, and we had moved to a house near the south coast. During this time, I had learned that Queen Elizabeth had signed an agreement to start a colony in this land, and the British were now on their way to get started. Of course, we made sure to stay far away from it, as we did not want anyone to get suspicious that a house was already near the bay where the colony was to be built.

The colony was to be named Roanoke, an interesting name.

It was also that year when Miss Emily became pregnant.

It came as a shock to us all as it had been for myself. Around this time, I was still trying to understand the information that the late Ms Faustus and Miss Anna had given me in this diary about nation pregnancies, and this is a rather embarrassing admission, but I was still at a loss about this.

Miss Emily, when she had been told of her condition, was both in shock and ecstatic, very different from what I have heard after she lost many children. The other servants even looked afraid, though they tried their best to hide it from Miss Emily, who perceived that they were only worried that Mr Arthur would find out.

Perhaps that was part of their concern, but only a portion.

The colony continued to grow, and so did the child, but Miss Emily did not show. Again, I had not seen her pregnancies before, so I had become suspicious and wondered if she truly was with child. However, I did not question her about this, and continued on with my duties while Miss Emily with hers.

And then, one late morning in 1585, she gave birth to a daughter.

I was in Miss Emily's room that day, preparing to serve her her afternoon tea, when suddenly she went unconscious, slumping in her chair like one of those porcelain dolls I had seen back in Britain. I had immediately rushed towards her to assist her, only to back away when I noticed that her womb was glowing blue. I stared in shock, unable to believe what I was seeing, and then the light exploded, blinding me for a few short seconds.