Episode 5: Something They Don't Know

There was an open abandoned lot somewhere in the city that not many people passed through. It used to be a small shopping square for the surrounding area but did not last long due to the shops selling poorly and going bankrupt. All shopowners were evicted and a politician running for mayor at the time suggested to build something else that would greatly benefit the lower class citizens of the area. However, it never happened and the lot stayed empty, collecting garbage, becoming hide outs at night for playful children and such. As of now, the neighbourhood surrounding it was poorer than most but they seemed to manage just right. The lot was fenced with rusting metal wires and had many weeds, pieces of wood, boxes, and all kinds of other junk that had been left behind from its previous life.

Ace and Karu brought Silkver with them to the empty lot to train for her upcoming entrance exam. Silkver insisted that she stay away from the lot since it gave her the spooks but they had already jumped over the fence and began clearing some space. Eventually, she hopped the fence as well and began her training with Ace.

Silkver yelped as she narrowly dodged an oncoming blow from Ace. She immediately jumped back some distance afterwards and got back to her fighting stance. Ace came for her again with his fist in the air and this time, Silkver had enough time to dodge it with ease. She attempted to kick him off his legs but he reacted fast enough and countered with the same move. She got caught up in it and was now on the ground. She knew she was in an extremely bad position at the moment so she looked up to see him looming over him with another fist coming in her direction. Silkver quickly scurried backwards to narrowly dodge it. She then scrambled to her feet and stood back up in the same stance he had taught her to stand in; feet apart, knees bent, arms in the front.

"I admit, you're pretty fast at running away. But can you run from this?" Ace then lunged at her with another punch.

Silkver gave him a puzzled look as she prepared to dodge it again. "But that's the same thing you've been doing-"

She then realized her mistake when Ace suddenly changed course the very last second. After he missed her, he stopped himself abruptly, turned around while Silkver was still near him, and tackled her to the ground.

"Gotcha," he smirked.

Silkver squealed in fear like a helpless kitten and sent strong gusts of wind in Ace's direction. He was sent flying away from her and into a the rusting fence. He then slipped into the ground and groaned in pain for his back.

Silkver ran over to him, feeling extremely bad. "Ace! Are you okay-"

"I clearly said, "No elements" didn't I?!" he yelled at her.

"I'm sorry! I got scared!"

Ace just grumbled as he got to his feet and dusted himself. "You're hopeless. Are you even trying? You barely try to attack me! You just keep running!"

"Well, it's not like I have a chance against you or anything," Silkver squeaked.

Ace raised a brow. "Where'd you get that idea?"

"Let's see, you're a Defenderㅡa really good one at thatㅡyou're stronger, more experienced. And then there's helpless, little me." Silkver then was hit with realization. "Why'd you instantly throw me into a battle with you? This was what got Karu from teaching me."

"Well, unlike her apperently, I have control," Ace replied. Then, he turned to Karu. "Oh. I forgot to ask,"

Karu looked up at him.

"What did you learn hand-to-hand combat for? Self-defense? Guarding some Royalty? For fun?"

Karu looked down and seemed to kick at something on the ground.