Episode 0: Arrival Part 2 [Silkver]

Run run run run rUN, I thought to myself as I watch myself get seperated from Soni.

What the heck's happening? I was scared out of my guts but kept running anyway.

Soni, I can't believe I'm saying this in my head, but please be careful, I say as I see my brother disappear from my sight.

I was about to say something else in my head, but was interrupted by one of them jumping down infront of me from a tree. I yelped and ran elsewhere. Geez, are these ninjas? Why are they after Soni and I?

I was considered as the athletic kid back then but that title could only take me so far in a wild chase like this. Soon after, I grew tired and my steps became sloppier. The lack of light wasn't the best either and I ended up stepping on a loose rock at a peak of a steep hill. It broke off and I lost my balance, tumbling down a hill full of tree roots and other small pebbles. After a solid thirty seconds of rolling, I was stopped by a hard landing against a tall boulder, which I'm pretty sure crushed every bone on my body. I thought about lying in that spot, thinking the huge boulder would hide me from my opponents, but it seemed to not be the case as they started sliding down the same hill I rolled from. I struggle to my feet, knowing that if I gave up now, they'd take me to who-knows-where to do who-knows-what. They approached me slowly, as I eye them warily.

None of the five spoke, but they continued to slowly walk towards me. That creeped me out even more. What didn't help was their attire. Now that things had slowed, I could somewhat make out the details of their appearance with the help of the moonlight. Their clothes looked nothing like what anyone would normally wear; dark, tight, clothing that covered them from head to toe, except for their eyes and tails. I look left and right for an escape, but they were blocking every possible escape route. I panic even more as one of them stops inches away from me. We have a little staring contest for a while, waiting for who was to make the next move. The smallest out of the group steps forward.

"Hello-"

I scream and throw the nearest thing in my grasp at them; dirt. The masked figure seems unfazed and just stood there, silent. I can feel their disappointment.

"Sorry, I panicked. Keep going," I whispered.

The figure walked closer to me. "Don't be afraid, I won't hurt you. I am only here to help."

His reassurances didn't make a difference. His goons just jumped and gagged Soni and I minutes ago. "Help?"

He -- assuming it was a guy judging from the deep voice -- then answered, "We know you don't belong here." He stepped forward with each word. "You're one of us."

I, ears back and eyes wide, then sputtered, "Wh-what do you mean? I-I don't get what you're sayi-"

The masked figure gently took my hand and made it face upwards. Then, a little purple flame appeared on my palm. I yelped in surprise, thinking my hand was going to burn. But instead, it was just a soft tickle.

"Only gifted beings can hold this kind of flame," he said said softly. "You are one of the few."

I stare at it. "Wha . . ."

He made the flame on my palm grow bigger. "You are something special, Silkver, and we need people like you to save us."

I pull away from the masked stranger, which was surprisingly easy. "What do you mean by 'You can save us'?" I asked. "What do you need saving from? If anything, I'm the one that needs saving from you. Sarandiel is peaceful and safe as it is." I dust off the grass and dirt from my pants. "And how am I special? I'm just a normal kid with no special powers. I didn't do that flame thing, that was all you!"