Entry #1

To whom it may concern,

If you find this journal, that will mean that I am already dead. That will also mean that I will have passed a great burden onto you, one that you will forced to carry with you for as long as you work here. Now, I know that you are confused, and you may not like what I am going to ask of you, but I beg of you, please listen to what I have to say.

First, let me start from the beginning; my name is Jane Faustus, and I was the first maid who ever served Miss Emily F. Jones, or as you have come to know as a new country that is forming before our very eyes, the colonies of America. I was fifty six-years-old at the time, and now I am on my deathbed, writing you this letter. Of course, I am sure you are chuckling at this, for you already know about Miss Emily being this type of human, but allow me to continue.

Miss Emily is a strange woman, of that I will admit. Believe me when I say that I too was fascinated by how strange she was, and how out of time she is. She's a young lady who is refined, elegant, and polite, something that we all see in wealthy women, but Miss Emily is more than that. She is as intelligent as any man I know, is stronger than any man I have met, and could make even the most experienced of men fall to their knees.

I will not be surprised if she turns out to be some kind of powerful spirit.

But that is not what I want you to know about. Rather, there's something you must be cautious of, and I ask that you write down what you experience so the next person who serves Miss Emily will be made aware of this, as it will not be easy, and Miss Emily will refuse to talk about it, no matter how much you insist.

The truth is...The truth is that Miss Emily is a troubled young lady.

I may have been old, but I could see that she had seen much more conflict than I could ever hope to see, than any man could ever hope to see. Perhaps you noticed it as well when you first arrived, and perhaps you are weary of Miss Emily, I will not hold it against you if you feel the last.

I was not told the full story, so I'm afraid I will not be able to answer any questions you may have. However, what I do know is that Miss Emily had lost many things; her mother, her brothers, and her life when we arrived. She was a very young child when Mr. Kirkland found her and took her in, but I'm afraid the man does not know the truth about Miss Emily, for he instead calls her Alfred.

I ask that you please keep this a secret with your life. Miss Emily disguises herself as a man to protect herself, and I'm sure you know what will happen if she were discovered to be female, especially a female potential country.

However, I am ashamed to admit that is not the only reason why Miss Emily is so troubled for a supposed lady of her age. I have seen this happen with my own eyes, and it was a horrible sight, one that I fear will continue.

I have learned that nations can become pregnant without ever coming in contact with the opposite gender, and this was something Miss Emily and I found out by accident. Still, I had never seen Miss Emily so happy when she realized she was pregnant, and she did not care on who created her child, for now she would have something to look after, to care for, to love.

I'm sure that you understand where I am going with this. If you wish to cease reading this entry, go on ahead, I will not hold it against you if you do so, but if you wish to listen, continue on, and I will tell you what happened to Miss Emily's children.

--Diary of Jane Faustus, 1558