Part 41: Hidan and Kakuzu Return

~the next day~

[Name]'s POV

Shikamaru, Kotetsu, Izumo, Haru, my brothers, and I stand in front of Tsunade's desk in silence. She bows her head before finally shakily saying, "I see."

"Uh, ma'am, what about Kurenai?" Kotetsu quietly asks her.

Tsunade finally lifts her head up and takes a deep breath before releasing it. "Notify everyone else regarding the funeral services. I will inform Kurenai-"

"No," Shikamaru states and glances at me. I meet his gaze and nod, knowing what he wants us to do. "[Name] and I will do it. We'd like to tell her ourselves. I have a message to her from Captain Asuma, and [Name] is the closest to her besides him."

"Tsunade-Ma, let me inform Kakashi and Naruto as well," I state, and she nods.

"Very well. You seven may leave," she whispers, and all of us walk out of her office.

Shikamaru stops me once we make it outside and turns me to face him. "Go find Kakashi-Sensei and Naruto. I'll wait here until you come back," he says, and I nod.

"See you soon," I whisper before walking off to where Naruto's been training. My mind races with thoughts and I stop for a second and look up at the now sunny sky. I take a few deep breaths before continuing forward and sauntering up to the open field where Tenzo sits inside ten pillars to stop the Nine-Tails Chakra if needed.

Naruto and Kakashi stand by each other and I take one more deep breath before approaching them. "Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato," I croak out, mentally cursing myself for my voice.

"[Name]?" Kakashi looks over at me as I bow my head to hide my tears that start coming.

"[Name], what's wrong?" Yamato asks as they rush over to me.

"Y-you need to call off the training and return immediately," I choke out, finally lifting up my head to look at them with tear-stained cheeks.

"What?! [Name], what happened?! Why are you crying?!" Naruto exclaims.

I find myself unable to form the words to tell them and Kakashi places his hands on my shoulders and gives me a small squeeze. "[Name], what's wrong?" he asks, and my body starts to tremble as I open my mouth to force a response.

"I couldn't stop them..." I choke out.

"Couldn't stop who? [Name], take a few deep breaths," Yamato says while rubbing my back.

"Asuma... h-he's." My bottom lip quivers as I wipe my eyes. "Asuma was killed..."

Naruto, Kakashi, and Yamato stare at me speechless, and Naruto shakes his head warily. "That can't be true. [Name], stop joking..." he says.

"This isn't a fucking joke!" I cry out. "He died in front of me. H-he... it was the Akatsuki. I tried and I tired but I couldn't save him. His wounds couldn't be healed. I failed... he was my uncle, and I lost him."

I break down sobbing again and Kakashi pulls me into his arms while Yamato continues rubbing my back. "Uncle?" Naruto asks.

"Asuma was very close with her parents and became an uncle figure to her and her brothers. He was family to them from the start and took care of them after her clan's massacre," Kakashi explains quietly.

"Asuma was pretty much the only person they had left," Yamato murmurs.

"[Name]..." Naruto comes up to me and slowly pulls me out of Kakashi's arms. "I'm so sorry."

"I...I need to tell Kurenai. Shikamaru and I said we would tell her," I mumble, pulling away from him. "I'm sorry for breaking down. It's just... I haven't lost someone family since the massacre and it hurts."