17. Winter Break

Winter Break

"Have you seen Pansy or Draco anywhere?" Blaise asked Neville as they studied in the library. "I fell asleep before anyone else and I didn't see them when I woke up this morning." 

"No, I haven't," He answered, concern evident, "But we haven't had a lot of opportunities to see them either, because we've been, well..."

"Spending most of our time together?" Blaise smirked, lacing his fingers with his boyfriend's.

Neville nodded, a secret smile on his lips as he gazed at their intertwined fingers. His eyes held warmth that made Blaise want to allow his sappy feelings to burst from his chest. He squeezed Neville's hand lightly and sighed in contentment. 

"I know you won't be staying in the castle over winter break, but promise to write me all about your Christmas, all right?" Blaise said, ignoring the small weight of disappointment in his stomach. He was never the clingy type, an he didn't want to start now.

Neville nodded tugged Blaise closer to himself in reassurance. "I'll also send you a present, since I don't have one for you right now,"

Blaise was startled and reached into his pocket in remembrance. "I actually have a present for you that I was going to give you before you left, almost forgot," he took out a wrapped package with a folded note tied to it. "Don't open it until you get to your grandmother's."

He took the present from Blaise as if it were the most fragile thing on earth.

"I'll miss you, even if its only for a week or so," Blaise murmured, embarrassed to admit so.

Neville's face brightened and turned slightly pink. "I'll miss you too,"

"If its of any consolation," Blaise smirked devilishly, "I plan on kissing you senseless once you get back." 

His words caused a scarlet blush to travel up Neville's face (much to Blaise's delight). 

He really was lucky...

✴✴✴

"I can't believe it actually worked," Pansy said over a streaming cup of tea.

"Of course it worked, we're geniuses," Hermione grinned.

"Yeah, a genius team," Pansy said, and knocked her shoulders with Hermione.

"Cheers to that," Hermione said, lifting her cup to clink with the other witch's.

"You're both horrible," Draco whined, sinking into his chair.

Pansy gave her trademark smirk and shrugged. "Not much to do about that, I'm afraid,"

Draco groaned and knocked back his tea as if it was a nice, strong firewhiskey .

"It is your fault for making a deal with Pansy, you know," Hermione scolded. "You should have know better than to do so."

"I really should have..."

"Nice charms work though, Hermione," Pansy said. "Those birds that you conjured certainly did the trick!"

"Why thank you," She said, "although it really should't have taken the means it did, those silly boys..."

"That's why they're friends with us," Pansy added.

Both girls laughed, knowing that they were certainly more observant than their oblivious friends who didn't notice their feelings for each other.

"Now all that's left is Draco and Harry," Pansy sighed. "Shouldn't be too hard, now that we're working together."

"What are you guys, some kind of power couple now?" Draco said, throwing his hands up in disdain.

Both girls' faces turned as red tomatoes. 

"What, n-no, why would you-"

"It-Its really not l-like-"

Their eyes met and a contemplative silence followed.

"I suppose it wouldn't be so bad..."

"It rather does make sense to..."

Hermione shot off of the couch and advanced to the door. "I have studying to do. In the library, now." She held Pansy's startled gaze for a moment and turned.

"Oh! I meant...oh...I also have-I have arrangements that must be taken care of, if you must know," She sniffed importantly and strutted to the exit, if not a little hurriedly. 

Draco scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Finally," he sighed.