9. Awakening

Awakening

"Draco?" Blaise called as he opened the dorm door. "Are you in here?"

All he got was a muffled reply from Draco, who was laying face down on his slytherin comforter.

"You alright there?" He asked, nearing the blond. He knew how Draco could get sometimes when he was upset.

Draco responded with a shrug of the shoulders.

Blaise sighed and slowly lowered himself next to Draco so that he was laying down.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked, worried that the argument with Potter was actually serious.

The blond nodded and rolled over so that he was looking up at the ceiling of the four-poster bed.

"Potter...asked me out," Draco started, a frown tugging at the corner of his lip.

"Why is that such a bad thing?" Blaise asked. "You've been pining after him for so long. Isn't this what you wanted?"

"That's the thing Blaise," Draco sighed. "It doesn't matter what I want. You know how my father is. Produce an heir blah, blah, blah. I can't drag Potter through that."

"And your mother?" Blaise asked, knowing full well that Narcissa Malfoy just had her son's well being in mind. "She wouldn't care, right?"

"Either way, Father will be very unhappy. I can't do that to him or Potter, no matter how selfish I may be sometimes."

Blaise nodded in understanding. Draco had it hard sometimes. He had a reputation or a façade, if you will, to uphold. It was always about what his father wanted and keeping the Malfoy name untarnished.

"So, what about you?"

"What about me?" Blaise asked, careful to keep a neutral tone.

"Don't think I didn't see you at Hogsmeade with Longbottom," Draco said, amusement clear in his voice despite his misery. "Besides, Pansy won't shut up about you and him."

The weight of the exploding bon bons were a strange reminder in his coat pocket as he thought about Neville.

"There's nothing to say on the subject," Blaise said keeping his tone neutral. "We just went to Hogsmeade together since I had no one to go with."

"The great Blaise Zabini couldn't snatch a date?" Draco scoffed. "Doubt it. You can just say you wanted to go with him."

"Now where's the fun in that?" He asked rolling off of the bed and instead jumping into his own.

Draco rolled his eyes. "I could always ask Pansy if you don't want to tell me anything."

"Pansy," Blaise sneered.

Draco raised his eyebrows. "What have you got against her suddenly?" He asked. "Other than the fact that she's too nosy for her own good, anyway."

"Nothing," Blaise said, when really, he just suspected that Neville had a crush on her. That wouldn't give him any reason to dislike Pansy. No, not at all.