4. Pansy's Assumption

Pansy's Assumption

"Idiot, idiot, idiot!" Blaise shouted as he banged his head on the desk. He was currently trying to study in the Slytherin common room but was getting nowhere. The scene in the infirmary just kept haunting him. Why, out of all of the things he could have done, did he choose to just shoot out of there like a scared little cat? He could have swallowed down his panic and smiled. Or maybe politely excuse hims-

"What's going on in here?" a female voice asked from the dorm entrance. Blaise quickly composed himself and lazily turned his head to see Pansy with a concerned expression on her face. "Is it you who is making such a ruckus in here?"

"Who else would it be, Pansy?" he asked, rolling his eyes. She scowled and dropped herself on Draco's bed across from where Blaise was studying.

"Are you feeling all right, Blaise?" she inquired worriedly. "You've been acting really strange recently, even Crabbe and Goyle have said something about it."

"I don't want to talk about it," he defended. He was tired of Pansy's meddling. She may have looked like she actually cared at the moment with her concerning eyes and little frown, but Blaise knew better. She was a Slytherin, and he knew better than anyone how they could be. She definitely wanted something out of the whole ordeal.

"Blaise, if you need someone to tal-"

"What do you want?" He snapped. It was always good to cut to the chase with Pansy to leave no room for her little games.

"Honestly, Zabini, you make it sound like I'm some kind of manipulative monster," she frowned.

"Is that not what you are?" Blaise questioned with a fake smile. He wasn't sure why he was being more snappish than usual, but Pansy was definitely getting on his nerves. 

She gave a sad smile and brushed a black strand of hair out of her face. "Believe it or not, Blaise dearest, I actually care about my friends' well being..."

He couldn't believe he was actually going to give in, but he needed someone to talk to. "Fine, but you have to promise not to make assumptions." She nodded in promise and motioned for him to continue. "So, I've been really restless lately and its been really hard to sleep. Its not just that, though. I've been finding myself feeling faint and kind of hot..."

Pansy made a face. "It sounds like you're sick more than anything," She leaned forward and felt his forehead. "You don't feel hot or anyth-"

"Excuse you," Blaise interjected, "but who do you think you are saying I'm not hot?"

"Shut up," Pansy snorted. "Honestly, you're such a joke. If you consider yourself  hot, then I must be a goddess, at least, in comparison."

"No, you shut up," Blaise laughed. "Its been an on and off sort of thing. Like, sometimes I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack at the pace that its beating sometimes. I also get these weird twists in my stomach... Do you think I'm curse-"

"MERLIN'S BEARD!" Pansy exclaimed so loudly that Blaise could have sworn that the walls shook.

"What are you yelling about?" He asked. Was he actually cursed?

"Who is it?" she asked, practically jumping in excitement, her eyes wide. Blaise reeled back with confusion. Who was what?

"Who are you crushing on, you blunt idiot?!" Pansy elaborated when she noticed how lost Blaise was.

"I-" Blaise started. "I don't know what you are talking about."

Pansy let out a frustrated huff and massaged her forehead with her fingers. "Are you being serious right now? You are almost as bad as Draco was with Potter!"

"I'm not crushing on anyone." Blaise grumbled. It was true. There was no one that immediately came to mind when the word 'crush' was brought up.

"Ooh, is it Daphny Greengrass?" Pansy prodded. "I know that you guys are pretty cosy..." Blaise could already see the matchmaking plan form in her mind.

"It's not her."

"How about that Gryffindor, Romilda Vane? She's pretty."

"Are you being serious right now?" He asked. Why did she care that much? Couldn't she go and find herself a nice boyfriend of her own instead of messing with everyone else's business?

"I know, I know, you guys aren't a thing anymore..." She paused for a moment and bit her lip and cast her eyes out the window in thought. "What about Theodor?"

Blaise choked. "Theodor? Nott?" Pansy nodded her head with a smirk and Blaise groaned. "Salazar, no."

"Why Nott?" She joked.

"Hey, you told me that you wouldn't make assumptions!" He said, ignoring the pun.

"Oh, but I didn't, now did I?" She smirked slyly.

"But you did," he insisted. "Otherwise I wouldn't have continued."

"But that's the thing Blaise," Pansy smirked in a very Slytherin way. "I nodded, but I didn't give a verbal agreement now, did I? Nor did I say that I promised to withhold my judgement or wherever."

"I hate you," Blaise groaned. Why did he have to end up with all of the insolent smartasses? Couldn't he have been sorted into Slytherin by himself?

"I hate you too," Pansy smiled. "But, back to the topic, you have to admit your feelings in order for it to get anywhere."

"But I don't even think I have feelings for anyone, Pans," Blaise frowned. She was just seeing what she wanted to see; a romance. "You need to stop reading romance novels, because they aren't doing anything good for you."

Pansy shook her head. "If you won't tell me, then I'm going to have to find out myself." With a final threatening glare, she turned on her heel and left the dormitory.

He gulped. Pansy wasn't messing around when she said that she was going to find out. Even if Blaise didn't know who his crush was, Pansy would. She was an expert on that sort of thing. She was good at reading people and she knew it, which was one of the reasons why she was placed in Slytherin.

Blaise turned to his notes with a shiver. His fate was inevitable. Pansy would find his crush no matter what.