16. Mistletoe

Mistletoe

Blaise picked at his teacup as Pansy and Draco chattered on about the latest gossip of Hogwarts. He wanted to partake in the conversation, but his mind was elsewhere, drifting to his dilemma with Neville. How would he ask him out successfully? Now that he knew the feeling was mutual, there was nothing standing in his way...

"-right Blaise?" Pansy said, smirking into her teacup.

Blaise blinked slowly as he tried to remember what they were talking about."Uh...right, of course,"

Pansy grinned gleefully and laughed.

"You actually admitted to that? I knew you weren't listening, but really?"

"What? What did I just agree to?" He gulped, glancing to Draco who was smiling into his cup.

"That what Brown and Patil are saying is true," Draco said. "That your hungry stares at Neville are of a predatory desire."

Blaise choked.

"I told them that they were wrong, of course," Pansy said, stirring her tea gracefully.

"Thank Merlin," Blaise sighed.

"Instead I corrected them," she said, "that your stares are one of a deep yearning."

Blaise choked again as his two traitorous friends simply grinned.

"Don't worry, it's not that big of a deal," Draco assured, "They won't tell anyone about what's going on between you and Neville."

"In fact, we made sure of it," Pansy said.

"I'm not sure I want to know how," Blaise sighed. The two were too mischievous for their own good.

"Yeah, Brown and Patil wouldn't speak of your business with him, especially one so forbidden, so tragic," Draco laughed.

"I wonder where they got such outlandish ideas," Blaise said, rolling his eyes.

"That, my dear, will remain a mystery," Pansy said, eyes dancing with mirth. "But this is beside the point. Now that you are properly paying attention, I need to know all the details about how you are going to ask Neville out."

"Wait, what makes you say that I will?"

Draco and Pansy both looked him knowingly.

"Blaise, do you honestly think that we, as friends who have known you for a very long time, would ever fall for whatever image you're trying to show? We know how you really feel."

"Yes," Draco smirked, "afraid."

Blaise growled and lifted his chin. "I'm not afraid,"

"Then prove it,"

"Now now, boys," Pansy said. "The hypocrisy is killing me."

Both boys rolled their eyes and Blaise could hear Draco mutter an 'I wish,' into his teacup.

"We really need to get things on track. We all know that winter romances are in," she said, seemingly oblivious to the bemusement of her company, "so wouldn't you two agree that it is about time to grow a pair and start dating already?"