Chapter 10: But why?

I storm out the house. I go to the plant next to the door and grab my keys to my car.

Dad bought me the car when I turned sixteen, but I only use it when I need it. Right now is the perfect time.

I run to my car and turn the engine.

"Makenzie!," I hear my Mom shout.

"Shit!," I say to myself.

I pull out the driveway.

"Makenzie!," she shouts again.

I see Dad come out and tries to talk to her. I read his lips. He's telling her to let me go.

Mom huffs out a breath. This is my chance to get away for a little but. I continue to pull out the driveway and make my way to Jake's.

Justin's POV: (Surprise!)

"Justin, are you out of your damn mind?!"

I look at Kenzie drive away, looking hurt.

"Just-"

"Mia, hear me out first."

"This better be good." She crosses her arms over her chest, awaiting for my explanation.

"I know you've been stressed ever since you started that campaign. But, you've treated Kenzie like shit."

"No, I haven't! She's been nothing but disrespectful! I am her mother!"

"Mia, calm down babe. You've been the only one not noticing it. Kenzie feels like you've given up on her and the twins since she was eleven. You missed all of Alex's sports games, you missed Rosie's academic award ceremonies, and you missed valuable time to spend with Kenzie, and the twins. They miss you."

"But,-"

"And everytime you come to visit, you're grumpy and cranky. You say things that's outta pocket."

She huffs out a breath. "I do?"

"Yes. The kids miss you. I miss you."

I wrap my arms around her waist, pulling her closer. She pecks my lips.

"I'm sorry. I was just so stressed. I didn't mean to treat you guys like that."

"Babe, it's okay. But, I shouldn't be the one you should be apologizing to."

She sighs. "I gotta have a talk with Kenzie. It's gonna be hard, but I gotta talk to her."

I nod. 

"It'll be fine. She'll come back. Just give her some time," I assure her.

Makenzie's POV:

I park outside Jake's house, and run to his doorstep. I knock on the door and stand back. Afew seconds later, Jake shows up.

His face lights up at the sight of me. Then, he sees and upset expression on my face, and his smile disappears.

 He closes the door behind him, coming outside to be with me. 

"What are you doing here? You okay?"

"No Jake. I'm not okay! My mom has been annoying me and I reached my breaking point tonight at dinner! So, I said some stuff to her to defend myself, and now I'm grounded for three whole fuckin' weeks and I can't go to the Winter Ball!"

He now looks crushed. I can't help but feel bad.

"So, you can't go to the Winter Ball?"

I hold back my tears. "No," I answer.