7. Past Issues and Present

Start from the beginning

"So what's your favorite food in the whole wide world?" Emma asked, popping a fry in her mouth. 

"Lasagna," she professed with a big smile. "But I have a soft spot for peanut butter... and chocolate... and berries... and dessert in general... Korean and Mexican food is so good but it's a shame Oakwood doesn't have it. I almost want to cry thinking about that--it should be a crime. I stuffed myself on Mexican and Korean in Ohio, though. Italian's great, too. Ooh, and breakfast foods like pancakes and French toast? Killer."

"Jesus, you really, really love food, don't you?" Emma laughed as she unwrapped her burrito. 

Lauren stared down, a little embarrassed. "Yeah, food's great. It's one of my reasons to live."

"I like lasagna, too. I'm a sucker for pasta in general especially when it's creamy, meaty and cheesy with just a sprinkle of bacon on top."

Lauren winked. "Hits the spot like nothing else, am I right?"

They agreed vehemently, and that's how the afternoon flied by as they prattled on about anything and everything. When they returned home using another bus, Lauren beamed at Emma, her hands curled in her lap shyly. 

"Thanks for going shopping with me. I had a lot of fun."

"Well, me too!" She bounced again. Emma bounced a lot, she noticed. The redhead was so bubbly at times it seeped out of her tiny body. Her soft brown eyes shone as she grinned. "Now, you are up to date with fashion. You're welcome."

***

Lauren trudged up the stairs to the cabin with the bags weighing on her arms. The door opened before her, and she stepped inside. Ben and Raymond lazed around the dining table, munching on a bag of chips while her brother fixed himself some leftover rice and vegetables. Bon Jovi's voice--or was it AC/DC, she didn't listen to them a lot and couldn't tell the difference--echoed through the hall, and she recognized that coming from Raymond's Ipod. 

"You went shopping?" Luc enquired. 

"No, I stole it all and told the clerk to neck herself."

Raymond snorted and shoved a fistful of chips in his mouth. She quickly jogged up the stairs to drop the clothes in her room and ran straight to the fridge. A moment later, she made herself a heavy plate of chicken, mashed potatoes and some of those veggies Luc had pulled out. 

"Someone's hungry," Ben noted. 

Lauren stuffed the food in the microwave and rounded the counter to approach the table. She looked at Raymond expectantly, batting her eyelashes. Chuckling, he leaned the bag of chips so she could dig in. 

"She's only nice to me when she wants food, it's not fair. This is emotional manipulation."

Lauren engulfed an entire chip in her mouth then chirped in a cartoonish voice, "Feed me, peasant." She grinned sweetly. 

He sighed and put the bag in the middle of the table. When the microwave beeped, she skirted around the counter, brought it back and started inhaling her meal. This usually entertained Luc a lot, but he didn't have the heart to laugh now. 

With his own meal, he settled down but didn't dig in yet. Instead, he stared at his sister with intent. 

"So how did you return home without a car and all those bags?" 

Ben and Raymond looked in her direction inquisitively, wondering the same thing but not quite understanding Luc's point. His twin chewed and swallowed, then stirred in her chair. 

"Uh, I... took the bus."

"You didn't ask for a ride as usual? You know one of us could have dropped you there and brought you back home." His eyes narrowed on the way she stared at nothing else but her fork and the piece of chicken hanging on it.