Chapter Eighteen (3) - Cockblocker

RILEY

I IMMEDIATELY DEMANDED to leave the field after that encounter with the hunter, so I ended up at the Weston's alone with Adam. The girls had booked a study session at Sam's, but he managed to win me over for the evening because we hardly ever had one-on-one time. His parents were at a coworker's anniversary, so I understood the opportunity as much as him.

Sitting cross-legged on his bed, my body was shivering as if the wind had pierced through the parka, though my skin was warm and tingly.

Adam was shirtless in front of his vanity, unfolding a fresh one and pulling it over his head. Turning around, he stepped along the edge and settled in.

"Who are you texting like a maniac?" he asked gently, prodding a curl off my face.

Ben, actually. 

Luc wasn't responding and it didn't strike me as proper girlfriend etiquette to call him up, but I needed to tell someone what happened right away. Some mutated hunter entered the field and threatened to wait us out forever. Freak shit. What if Finn was going to visit others?

"Uuh, my dad," I replied and closed the screen. "About the guy on the field."

"If he comes back, I'm tearing his ass in two. Are you sure you don't want to file a police report or something?"

I refrained a jittery laugh. Even if he'd been a regular stalker and we weren't in this crazy situation, I wasn't sure I'd seriously consider that. "I got my book back. He doesn't know where I live. I think it's going to be fine." I pulled my eyes off a point on his wall and turned my head until our noses rubbed. "Especially if you're there."

He draped an arm around my shoulders and leaned me against him. After he emerged from the bathroom, he smelled of fresh sandalwood and fabric freshener. I kind of just wanted to inhale him and forget about the incident. Push it out to a far corner, will it out of existence.

"I'm sorry that happened, Riley. I don't want you to go around town alone for some time."

I kissed the side of his neck, blocking out the words. "It's okay, now."

"You sure you don't want to talk about it?"

"Yes." I slid a hand around his athletic thigh and watched him tense up with a funny sense of satisfaction. "We got the house to ourselves. Spartacus is asleep downstairs. Not much to talk about."

His eyes lit up with curiosity as soon as the message sunk in. Dropping his forehead against mine, he pressed a less gentle, more demanding kiss with a palm tightening around my hair. I gave in quickly, like opening the doors on a flooded hallway, and backed up on the bed.

But when I broke the kiss, I found empty air.

"Better not ruin this moment with a giant dog barging in," he whispered by the door, wincing as it creaked and clicked shut. I laughed at the way he jumped on the mattress and rolled onto his back.

His hand pried me to lie down next to him and, still smiling, our lips connected. 

Ah, what a rare opportunity, indeed. Was I violating a girl code clause if I admitted I was glad he netted me here alone while my friends were stuck studying? Not sure I cared when he explored up my shirt and my breath was lost in his.

Adam broke off for a second. He stared at me with those baby blue eyes of his, then moved down.

"Whoa, Addison..."