Chapter Eighteen - Busted

RILEY

THE NEXT MORNING, Chuck barreled to my locker and I thought he'd hit me with his books.

"What did you do?" he accused, pointing a finger at his glasses to readjust them. "Why the hell did you send that video? You're just going to make it worse!"

A look of distress overcame his features, and I hadn't realized that I'd forced him out of his comfort zone. But how could I not react and do something about his situation? Even though he humiliated me, made me feel like an object, I couldn't leave it alone. 

The scandalous photos reemerged in my memory. I stepped back, and he noticed it. He looked down, regret piercing his pale face.

"It's better if he knows, Chuck. He can help you, and it needs to stop. You expected me to sit there and watch it happen?"

He seemed anxious, like I'd exposed his... hobby rather than the video.

"Yes. Because of what I did."

I winced, and a stabbing sensation radiated in my chest. I've always loved my loose clothing above all, but since he'd sneaked revealing pictures of me, I'd discarded the idea of wearing skirts or shorts. During the winter, I could get away with them if I had cozy tights. But I'd rather not. It reminded me of how he'd photographed me changing in the locker room, and that he'd seen a lot of skin. 

"Look, just get therapy and fix it or whatever. It was horrible, and you have no idea how I felt because of it. Why would you do something like that?"

"I... I-I didn't think—"

"Well, well, look who we have here."

We both turned. Luc was eyeing the boy with a predatory gleam. He stood perfectly still and poised, but I knew he was capable of blasting him against the lockers. Chuck's expression blackened. He stared back at me, wild-eyed and shameful. I thought of the bruise he'd borne at Homecoming and pity gripped me.

"Luc..." I started with a sigh. 

He lifted an eyebrow that said I'm not listening. "You never learn, do you? Do I need to beat you up again and again? I have all my time, but you'd think you got sick of being taught a lesson."

"I-I was only t-talking to her," Chuck stammered, shrinking.

"You shouldn't even look at her," he said, and his voice lowered a notch. "Piss off."

I shot Luc an irritated stare, but it didn't stop Chuck from skulking away with a sour face.

I folded my arms. "Annoying much?"

"You don't want that vermin around," he replied and opened his locker. "Something's not right with his mind."

"Maybe, but I was just telling him he can get help. You're so insensitive, sometimes." 

I summarized the video story and that I'd sent it to the headmaster last night.

Luc shrugged, unbothered. "Best of luck with his issues, but they're not my damn problem. As far as it concerns me, him creeping around and taking pictures of you is enough to brand him a scum. You're welcome, Sunshine."

"Thanks for nothing."

I shook my head. We've had this conversation before and I made it clear this attitude didn't fix anything. Chuck wouldn't physically hurt me or start again. He must know better. The damage was done and irreversible, so why add salt to the wound? 

"It's because of people who treat him like you did just now that he feels lonely."

"I don't give a rat's ass if he feels lonely," Luc said, his locker banging shut. "Again, not my damn problem. If he wants me off his back, then all he has to do is stay out of my way."