22. Ain't No Party Like A Mutant Party

"Are you sure about this?"

Emma looked at Lauren worriedly, fidgeting with the hem of her skirt. She'd only been to very few parties and it was with her family. She would play board games with her cousins and that was it. Lauren glanced over her vanity. She was curling a dark brown strand of hair around her curling iron. 

"I mean, if you really don't want to, it's fine. I get how uncomfortable it might be for you." She turned towards her friend. "I simply want to show them it's okay to be around you, that the world isn't going to collapse because you know about us." 

Lauren also hoped maybe some would see in Emma the cool person she was and drop their guard. It might also encourage the girl to pop out of her shell. 

"We're sticking together no matter what," she added with a lovely smile. "If someone gives you any trouble, I'll be sure to make them sorry. And by the way, you look so pretty!"

Emma wore a conservative but colourful ensemble for the party. It consisted of a flowy skirt, tights and a crop top. She accessorized with an adorable headband around her shiny hair that encircled her heart-shaped face and enhanced those warm eyes. 

"Thanks." She beamed and sat on Lauren's bed. "And you know what, I agree with you. It would be good to try and prove I'm not the spawn of Satan or whatever."

Lauren laid her curling iron down and waltzed to her wardrobe. She grabbed two hangers and showed both of them to Emma with a quizzical expression. 

Lauren waved a light pink, strappy skater dress. "Option number one. Cute and safe. I have some wedges to go with this. Or..." She waved a lacy black romper with straps at the shoulders and a V-neck. "Something a little more daring that'll go with strappy sandal heels in a burgundy colour."

"Hmmm..." Emma stroked her chin. "I don't think you can go wrong with either one but I'd probably take the romper. It's ironically safer in the way it's made. The back is exposed but not the nether area. You can always add a jacket to cover yourself more."

"Romper, it is! You're awesome." 

The redhead flipped her hair and made a funny voice. "Oh stop it, you!" 

After Lauren slipped on her outfit, they did each other's makeup in a fit of giggles. The person with the lipstick had complete control over what the other would look like tonight, and they couldn't complain or change it as per the determined rules. It was a fun way to surprise each other and the best part of getting ready. 

Lauren gave her small friend a light, glowy makeup to fit with her look and Emma played with a subtle, muted smokey eye. She kept the rest simple, bringing only attention to the eyes.

When they headed to the porch, Luc was in the driveway with Ben and Devin. He scowled at the sight of Emma. Lauren had to fight him through several arguing matches so he could accept her friend's presence at the party. She won in the end. 

When both girls joined the trio at the bottom of the staircase, an Audi pulled over. Raymond sauntered out and Emma recognized him as that famous senior on the football team. The King of high school, as people proclaimed him, as he had the world at his feet. 

Raymond immediately noticed her and threw a weird glance at Lauren. He'd been smiling before but not anymore. 

"She's coming and that's final," Lauren snapped before he spoke. 

Devin shook her head subtly and started towards Ben's BMW. "Well, I'm not riding with her." 

It disappointed Lauren to hear that from her other friend, but she couldn't do much about it now. Ben passed her a helpless look then a sympathetic one at Emma before hopping behind the wheel. Luc followed, closing the back door behind him. The twins weren't sixteen yet and weren't officially allowed to drive. The car reared out of the parking space and backed out on the gravel road.