Chapter 54- Holy Moly

Start from the beginning

"This fight with the hybrids, its not just about getting rid of the Elementals, is it? They want to destroy the Veil."

Doc nods his head in agreement. "The offspring of the Creator's daughters want to control magic. This has always been our struggle."

"And the previous Elementals ... they've died protecting it?"

"They made sacrifices, yes."

Stepping away from him, I feel the magnitude of his words hit me. "Then, are we fighting in vain?"

"No."

"How can you say that? The battle of good vs. evil, Doc? Do you honesty think we will be victorious?"

Squaring his shoulders, Doc looks down at me with smiling eyes. "In nature, water decides when it starts and when it stops. The storm goes where it wants and it's power comes from within. You are the storm, Everly - nothing can hold you back."

"But I should be dead right now. Why save me when others were left to die? Did you bring me here to show me what I'm fighting for?"

"I was not the one to bring you here, Everly."

"Then who —"

"I did."

Turning around, I'm met with familiar green eyes. "Seri. I almost didn't recognize you without your black fur."

The corner of her mouth tilts with amusement. "That's right. I guess that means I've saved you twice tonight, right?"

"I didn't even think you liked me."

Seri grabs my hand and extends my arm out. "Do you see this, Everly?" My Elemental symbol is still prominent on my fading skin. "This mark means that you are part of my family. Which is something I don't have a lot of and I will do everything I can to protect my family."

A tugging pulls on my phantom heart
"Thank you."

Seri releases her hold. "Besides, it was either save you or suffer through ghost-you haunting me. And my life is loud enough without your incessant chatter."

"Right. I guess that means I owe you. So, how do I get back?"

Commotion from the trail above the waterfall draws our attention. Familiar voices grow louder just before I see my mate, with me in his arms, race down the path.

"Ezekiel!" My brother's voice booms. "What the hell are you doing, man?"

Zeke walks past us and toward the water. "Bringing her back."

Seri chuckles. "See, Doc. I told you he'd figure it out."

Thea, Bel, and Caylin approach in awestruck wonder. "Bloody brilliant," Caylin whispers.
Danny snaps his head towards the redhead.

"You don't seriously believe this will work, do you?"

"I believe in Everly," she replies.

Momma, still in wolf form, bumps Danny's hand with her head and whines. His jaws clench before he focuses back on Zeke. "I ... I do too."

Edging my way toward my mate, I see that the fear he had before has been replaced by faith. A hope Zeke exudes as he steps into the water, carrying me until he is standing waist-deep and my body is floating. "Come back to me, Angel."

"I'm here, Zeke."

My bare feet connect with the water and a strange sensation develops. It's as if I've stepped into a carbonated pool and all of the bubbles kiss my skin. I make my way to Zeke, who has his head tilted up and his eyes drawn close. "Please," He whispers under his breath.
The movement of water quickens as the fluttering and fizzing intensifies. Light surrounds me and washes through my form. As it grows brighter, my eyes shut and I'm left feeling like I'm being pulled in all directions. Everything feels cold and that coolness intensifies until it becomes a scalding heat. The overwhelming fever converges at my center, gathering at my core like a red-hot poker.

All at once, I take a lungful of air and open my eyes.

"Angel," I hear Zeke whisper.

My focus is blurry, but I reach up to touch his face. "Holy moly."

He lifts me out of the water until I can bury my face into his neck and tears pour out of me. Taking a big, deep breath I inhale forest, spearmint, and his wolf — it's the best scent in the world.  Squeezing with all of my strength, I pull back and find tears welling in his eyes. "I thought I lost you," he murmurs.

Tracing my fingers along his jaw, I lean in and kiss his soft lips. "We're not going to lose each other, Zeke." I rest my forehead against his. "You're my mate. That means, I get to keep you forever."

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
As always, thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed the conclusion to Everly's Element. Please leave a comment and don't forget to vote. I will love you forever and like you for always!!

Musical inspiration for this chapter: Heavy by Florence + the Machine.

Stay tuned for the Epilogue: After the Storm.

Remember: your words fuel mine! X O X O

Your friend and Shifter For Dummies Expert,
Bon

Your friend and Shifter For Dummies Expert, Bon