Chapter 47- Thanksgiving

Be thankful for what you have.
Your life, no matter how bad you think it is,
is someone else's fairytale.
-Wale Ayeni

Zeke

The blade of my knife slices delicately through the thick flesh of the tomato. "How did you want these cut up, Dan?"

My best friend is hovering near the oven, checking the turkey's internal temperature, "Cut, gut, and chop into bite-size pieces."

Muffled laughter comes from Trent who is sitting at the kitchen island. He's struggling with the can opener trying to maneuver the device around an aluminum container of jellied cranberry sauce. Danny and I both stop to look at him, surprised by his rare public display of humor.

He glances up at us and stops. "Inside joke," he shrugs. "Had to be there." Shaking my head at his crudeness, I get back to the task at hand.

Danny has been cooking up a storm for our Thanksgiving dinner. Undertones of butter and rosemary mingle with the overtones of turkey, ham, and ménage of other spices. It's such a welcoming aroma that feels like a familiar hug.

Enlisting the help of the pack, he's given everyone a task. Trent and I are helping prep food, while Mason and Micah are setting up the table and chairs. Everly is helping Mom decorate the lodge with gourds and pumpkins.

Booming cheers erupt from the den, where Dad and Charlie are watching football. Trent groans as he looks in that direction, "Can I be done now? Cans are opened and the goop inside is sliced and plated, as per your instructions."

Danny closes the oven and wipes his hands along the floral pattern of his borrowed apron. Walking over to Trent's side, he examines his work, "Good job. Don't go far though, I'll need your knife skills when it's time to carve up the turkey." Trent chuckles to himself as he shuffles out of the kitchen.

"How about that?" Danny bemuses. "Got two almost laughs out of that asshole." I look at him and his face becomes somber before he adds, "It's a Thanksgiving miracle." We both laugh as we continue preparing dinner.

"Well," a recognizable, Irish lilt chimes. "Isn't this a picture to remember." Caylin is standing nearby, holding up her phone and chuckling, "Smile, Danny Boy! That apron really does bring out the color of your motorcycle boots."

Laughing at her antics, I watch as Danny begins to fume, "Piss off, Caylin." And I laugh harder when Caylin just smiles bigger, a fire of amusement flickering in her malachite eyes.

"Danny Anderson," Charlotte scolds as she walks into the kitchen, followed by the gaggle of other Elementals, "watch your language!"

I can't help but smile to myself as Danny's expression morphs into one of pride. He's been wanting his mother back in his life for so long. I imagine even her reprimanding him brings a bit of joy to his heart.

Thea and Bel step up to the island and place covered dishes on the counter. "What are these?" I question.

Bel places her hands on her hips and I catch the caption on the t-shirt beneath her green and black checkered flannel: Thankful, Blessed, and Mashed Potato Obsessed. "Well, Zeke," she says, "Thea here is a vegetarian and I have a strict
'no eating things with wings' policy." Leaning forward she stage whispers, "Kinda feels like cannibalism."