Chapter 34- Mountain Sound

Zeke

Everly's snarl morphs into an inhuman scream. Her back falls back onto the bed and I watch helplessly as her body begins to morph. Large convulsions rack her small frame and her breathing becomes labored.

The first shift is always an uncomfortable experience. The magic of the shift prevents blood loss and skin ripping. However, the pops and crunching sounds that are emanating from Everly right now, are cringe-worthy. Light-colored fur begins to raise up from her skin and her nails lengthen as a haze envelops her being.

Magic.

The thick fog glows as it roots itself to her shifting form and the atmosphere becomes heavy with anticipation. Silence swallows the room like a vacuum and all I can hear is the pulse of my heartbeat.

Then, she emerges.

And she is breathtaking.

Her deep sea blue eyes sparkle as she stares at the mirror across from her. I feel my wolf demand to shift so he can greet her properly. But, I hold on. Unsure of what to do or say, I just watch and wait. Suddenly, her attention is drawn towards me. She cocks her head to the side and wags her tail. Its then that I know. Her wolf is aware that I am her mate, and now, Everly does too. I've wondered what this moment would be like. I've imagined her reaction at least a thousand times. But, as I watch history repeat itself and Everly leap from the bed and bolt for the door, I am still surprised.

"Everly!" I yell as I chase after her.

She barrels into the kitchen, her claws scraping against the tiled floor. With no traction, she skids to her haunches and scrambles to keep going. Entering the den, she makes her way towards the door. Micah and Danny are taking bags of soiled cloth outside. Everly races passed the two men who have stupefied expressions on their faces.

"Everly?" Danny asks in bewilderment.

I watch as her white form runs towards the lake. Taking off my shirt, I reach for my belt and begin to disrobe. Seconds later, I am shifting. Years of practice makes the transition fluid. I call upon my wolf and he springs forward. Bones crack, muscles reshape, and my form alters to my large grey and white wolf. Running through the snow, I catch Everly's scent leading me to the river. Sighting her white hind quarters as they disappear into the tree line, I run faster. When I am about twenty-feet away, Everly senses my presence. I can tell she knows I am approaching because she begins to zigzag. Her run becomes a game of chase.

Her wolf wants to play.

So, I chase her. Through the woods we run, our playful growls and barks mingling with the mountain sounds. When I catch up, I leap on her. She pulls away, releasing a yelping noise. She turns towards me and lifts her bottom in the air. Wagging her tail, her body coils as I approach and then she jumps. Her teeth find my ear and she nips. My wolf feels so much joy.

We continue to play and run for what feels like hours. The sun is setting when we enter an area near a waterfall. Her demeanor suddenly changes. I watch as she leans over the water's edge. Staring at her reflection for a few minutes before she begins to shift.

Back in her human skin, Everly kneels by the water and cups her hands. Dipping them into the water, she brings them to her lips and drinks. When her palms are empty, she pools more water into them and just stares at the cool liquid.

"Did you know that there is the same amount of water on Earth as there was when the Earth was formed?" she asks. "I remember reading that when I was younger. It always stuck with me. This useless fact. But for some reason, I never forgot." As she is focusing on the water in her hands, I watch as the substance begins to change. A small ball of water hovers over her palms. I quickly shift and kneel beside her.

"You're the water element?" I ask in awe.

"It would appear so," she replies. Her voice void of emotion. She allows the water to slip back into the small pond before she turns her attention towards me. "You didn't know?"

I vigorously shake my head, "No! I had no idea. How did you find out?"

"I had a vision," she states as she stares at the waterfall. The sun is sinking below the tree line. Soon we will be shrouded in darkness. "I found out that I am the water element and I met my wolf," she explains as her gaze moves to me. Her eyes burrow into mine when she says, "That part you knew about though, right? That I am a wolf shifter? Y'all knew about it but kept it from me. Is there anything else you are keeping from me? Oh wait! Yes. You're my mate, right?" she shakes her head as she stands. As she storms off, I follow. Suddenly, she faces me, "You know what really makes me mad? It's that I was honest with all of you. I shared a part of myself that was so difficult to share. The part of myself that I feel shameful about. Because I trusted you. Because I thought we were all some big, albeit dysfunctional, family. I.." she hesitates as her voice strains with emotion. "I found out that magic is real. Supernaturals exist, and I am one of them. I found out that I have a purpose: to not only protect magic but all of humankind. Then, I look at you and my wolf screams at me, 'mate' and I can't," she chokes as a sob escapes her throat.

As I step forward, I lift her chin so her eyes meet mine, "Can't what?" I ask. My jaw clenches as I swallow the lump of emotion at the back of my throat. After she doesn't respond, I take a deep breath and lay the truths at her feet, "I never told you about being a shifter because I couldn't. I wanted to but it wasn't the right time. I know that sounds like a cop out, but it's the truth. I knew you were my true mate the moment I met you on the dirt road. How could I explain that? Any of it? I know you're upset, angel. You have every right to be. But please, understand that I would never keep something from you unless I had to. I care about you so much. I..." my breath is staggered.

The chill of the night prickles at my skin. Everly stares at me before she replies, "All my life I was controlled. Hank controlled everything and took my choices away. For the first time, I felt like I was taking my life back and becoming my own person. Now, I learn that I am these things that I had no voice in deciding. Once again, control taken from me. I admitted to my feelings for you, but now I wonder if I was really feeling them or was it this mate thing?" a sob racks her body as she continues, "Do you really have feelings for me? Or, is it your wolf overriding your senses?"

"Don't do this, angel. Don't question how or what I feel. Don't undermine what's between us," I beg.

With tears streaming down her cheeks, my mate whimpers, "That's just it, Zeke. I can't trust what's between us."

Then, yet again, my mate runs away from me.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

*takes deep cleansing breath*

That one was tough to write. I feel for Zeke but understand where Everly is coming from. Her life has completely changed and now, she's left wondering if what she felt for Zeke was real or some magic playing tricks on her.

What are your thoughts? Comments? Questions? Let me know what you think.

As always, thank you for reading.

xoxo
SB

xoxoSB