Chapter Five

Iru

The day has just begun, it had been two days since the lake. We had managed to arrive at the border region town. It was more shabby than any we'd been in so far.. homeless people filled the streets and Saizo kept me close. The buildings looked old and shriveled. The site of homeless children pained my heart. 

The line to the gates were a little ahead of us but Master Saizo pulled me  in a tailor shop. 

"Okay.. here," he handed me a traditional man Kimono.

"Em.. Sa-,"

"Put it on, I have a plan," he barked. "We will disguise ourselves, I will be the rich noble monk, and you will be my peasant assistant," he smirked.  "Why do I have to be the peasant?" I shook my head at his immaturity but couldn't help but stick my tongue out at him. After we got dressed I tried to tie my hair up, it had been a while since I'd had it up.. I couldn't get it right. 

"Huh..!" Saizo came up behind me and assisted. His warm hands brushed my neck and I shivered. 

"There." I turn to face him and his eyes widen. Hmm? What is he staring at? I frown. "Does it look that bad?" 

"No." with that he grabbed the straw hat and placed it on my head and smirked slightly. "You will need to hide the left over strands," his expression is normal. What was that all about? I just smiled and shook the thought off. 

We made sure that caps covered our faces, especially mine since I were to be a man.. as we stood in line and neared the gate I felt a cold aura come from the people surrounding us. Are these people all affected by Yoritomo and Oda's reign? I knew it had effected ninja but the sight of this town was painful to look at. People were starving and I had the urge to do something, but not knowing what.

We approached the border samurai, I couldn't see but I knew Saizo gave the men our passes. 

"And who is this?" a man asks.

"My putrid peasant."  Saizo replies in a deep toned voice. I look up a bit and the man waves off which seems like a signal to let us pass. Ah.. we've done it how relieving. ..? hmm. (TWING) That music.. . It's an Iru. Goyo.. I was tearing. Why must I cry. I cannot blow our cover. I perk up but as I wipe my tears away my shabby top-kimono snags and the cap is dragged off, leaving my hair to fall to my back. Oh no!

"It's a woman!" A man yells. "Stop them!" I quickly look at Saizo and he glares at me with anger and grabs my wrist. Ow! It hurts! We run off.

It had seemed that'd we'd been running for ages, but they continued to follow. We ran out of the trees and into a large tall grassed meadow. Saizo still holding my wrist. We stop abruptly and hear off in the distance the shouts of men. (PANT)(PANT) He looks at me and pushes me down in the grass. ..!

"Do not say a word," he whispers angrily. He is on top of me! But he seems to not be putting all his weight on me. His hand covers my mouth and I look at his face fearfully, he puts his finger in front of his mouth. 

"Where are they!?"

"They couldn't have gone far!" The men ran right past us. It was a clever move. We stay hidden the same until there voices are far gone. All I was able to do was stare at Saizo's marvelous features. I couldn't blush because I was to anxious...it also be to embarrassing.. After a while he gets up and gives me a hand. I am now scared what Saizo will do...

"One task. You can not complete one task, you idiot." he flicks my forehead. I wince. 

I accepted the punishment.