Chapter Two

Sacred Symbol

It had been 15 months since my stay at the Momozono Estate away from the war. I was always bored, never allowed to help out or do anything. However, unlike the people who owned the estate I had to ware commoner kimono so I wouldn't be noticed, such as a lovely salmon Kimono and my hair down, which was so odd to me but in no time did I get use to it. The older man who took care of me was very strict and traditional so I could not do anything but listen. I never once not thought of Yoshitsune and his shinobi. Not once did I not feel pain. All the things I did to occupy myself were never enough. This constant reminder however is nice. They are real.. Goyo.. Goyo is real. He has a woman to be happy with, probably.. a child. Happiness is all I want for him, for all of them. 

As I walked through the village I pass by Numbunaga's samurai posted at the corner. I hear them reminising.

"Yes. I heard their was a sighting of Ninja around here. We must keep are eyes open." A samurai says. I gasp. Ninja? I made it home quickly with the bucket of water I had retrieved from the well. The gate keeper opens the gate and I enter. The beautiful sounds of water dripping and birds chirping was interrupted by my fast pace up the garden.. This estate belonged to the mayor of this village. It was a way away from most of the town folks homes, so it was suppose to be quite. 

I entered the house and a group of men stood before me, with my guardian. "huh..?!" Ninja! I stood there in utter shock. A man stepped forward smiling gently. His broad gentle face is stunning, his fixture is impeccable. I glance at his obi-band around his forehead, and smile until my cheeks hurt. Oh! He is blushing. The men behind him are as equally beautiful. 

"Princess." The man before me says. He bows and the others follow him. I stand there dumbfounded as he says that word.. "Princess?"

"Oh Hanzo do not just spit that at the girl, she must be confused. Look at that red face," The tall man with a sly smile was crossing his arms.

"Ah where are my manners. I am Hanzo." He was very distinguished. I am still so confused. These men are obviously ninja.. they are dressed as Ninja, aren't they worried they may be seen?

"Hello Milady!!" The tallest of them all approaches and puts his hands on his waist. "I am Sasuke!" I blush at his outburst. He is so close..!

"Sasuke will you please, for the love of god control yourself.." The man with a shall over his mouth says, Sasuke backs away and rubs the back of his head. "Oh.. sorry Princess." Then Hanzo introduced me to the other men, Goemon, Kotarro and the one I couldn't put my finger on, Saizo. 

"I am s-sorry to be so blunt.. but I am not a princess. You must have me mistaken!" I say nervously. Hanzo once again approaches me and tells me everything. 

I am now the ninja princess?! These men know Yoshitsune and have been making contact with him through the weeks. I have been chosen to be the symbol of all ninja. Something any Ninja anywhere will look up too..

"Me..? B-but I barely know the art of Ninja," I stutter. 

"Oh milady. You don't need to be a master such as myself. You are but a symbol. I have heard many things about you. You are the air of Kusunoki." I blink as he says my name. Father..

"Ah..!" Master Hanzo grabs my wrist! He points to the birth mark on my arm with no hesitation! "See.. you are a worthy woman of accepting the name." My birth mark is what proves I am of Kusunoki blood. But am I really fit to be a Ninja Princess..? I had even taken my mother maiden name Horai. As if Goemon could read my thoughts he replys as he leans on the wall. "Its a temporary name, don't for get to mention the important parts, Hanzo." He snickers.  

"Will you accept, Ms. Horai?" Hanzo says. I cannot say no. Is this my purpose? I smile slightly and look up at Hanzo. "Whatever it takes for Ninja," I grab Hanzos hand and smile. 

After supper, where we got acquainted well, we head outside to discuss arrangements to arrive in the capital, Iga. Apparently Iga is the capital of Ninja regions as well as normality. I had to arrive in Iga in 7 days, however most of the men had to stay for some time before leaving. They decided to have one of them escort me while the others stay behind. "Alright, milady. You choose who will protect you on your journey. We do not want you to feel uncomfortable." Master Hanzo smiles. Siazo, who coolly showed no emotion, and spoke with a maid. Is he flirting at a time like this! How piggish of him..! "Master Siazo seems more than suitable," Master Saizo stops and blinks. Oh so he was paying some what attention. I smile. 

"Ah.. so Siazo," Master Hanzo waves his pleads to not be the one. I couldn't help but feel a bit satisfied. Master Siazo made no further attempts to argue, he sighed.. "Hm.." He walked up to me which made my heart be fast! "If it to protect the sake of Ninja I will do it," his words seem sincere but his expression is rather agitated. All he sees me is as a Symbol, how kind.. "Then it's settled, I trust the Princesses protection with you." Master Hanzo says sternly. 

Saizo bows, and I instinctively follow.   

I am very nervous. Siazo notices.

"No need to worry, Nanami. You are safe with me." Saizo gently pats my head.

His words make me calm a bit, is this Saizo being sincere?

Tomorrow we leave on our journey and I cannot seem to rid Master Siazo from my mind.. have I made the correct decision?

Did Nanami make the wrong decision? 

 Please don't forget to vote and follow! 

I'd also love to hear your thoughts so comment!

Until next time in Kamisama Ninja~