Chapter 30: It was Bullshit.

Chapter 30:

It took them exactly five minutes and thirty seven seconds to get back to the apartment. During this time I had tried to calm myself down. I knew that the Monster would not be happy about my latest panic attack and that he was most likely not going to be able to not break the deal as soon as they stepped foot into the apartment. I mean, looking at the situation through the deranged werewolf perspective, I’m sure that his mate calling him in a total panic and outwardly refusing to tell him what it was about would worry him. He wouldn’t even think about looking at the situation through the “werewolves shitted all over my whole life” perspective. He would never understand the real reason for me being so distraught.

He would always be a threat.

No matter how much time that I was forced to be his prisoner, no matter how many times he promised to love me, I would never see him as anything else. If I was going to try to help regulate the situation I was going to have to pretend to be calm. Maybe I could blame it all on hormones? He was dumb enough to believe that right?

“Juniper!” the Monster’s voice called out desperately as soon as the door opened. I sucked in a deep breath and prayed that my voice would come out calm.

“I’m in here.” I called back. My voice was a little shaky but it seemed for the most part to be ok. I was still sitting on the floor in the kitchen, not being able to find the resolve to stand. He almost immediately appeared in the doorway, his eyes locking onto my so fast that it was like they had some sort of onboard tracking system.  He came to my side and knelt down. I expected him to reach out and grab me into a hug when I saw his hands raised in my direction. But he surprised me my just holding them there, halfway outstretched but not touching my skin.

“Are you alright? What are you doing sitting on the floor love? What’s wrong? You’ve never called me before.” he commented. There was something in his eyes at that last statement that stunned me a little. Mixed in with the worry, relief and frustration etched onto his eyes also held another emotion. It almost looked like…satisfaction. He was pleased that I had called him in a moment of distress.

Screw him.

“I don’t like my sister to be home late.” I stated, ignoring his other questioning. “It worries me.”

The Monster heaved a sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“But I was with her, you know I wouldn’t let anything bad happen to her.” He told me as if it were an obvious thing.

But I didn’t know that. Actually I believed quite the opposite.

“It doesn’t matter if Jesus Christ or Chuck Norris was out with her, I still don’t want her to be late unless I know where she is.” I muttered, looking away from him in anger. I didn’t owe him an explanation. I didn’t owe him anything.

“But why? You sounded like you were going to have a panic attack. You scared the holy shit out of me and I want to know why right now.” He commanded, the deeper voice of the beast seeping into his words. I gulped heavily and turned my face away.

I didn’t want to tell him why.

He didn’t deserve to know why.

“Just leave her alone. She has freaked out when people come home late because of what happened to our-“ Cheyenne tried defend me from the kitchen doorway but I cut her off before she could utter the words that I never wanted the Monster to know.

“Shut up Cheyenne.” I barked at her. “I don’t need your help. You’re only making things worse.”

Chey’s eyes widened and she dulled into silence without another prompt from me. Did she know nothing? How could she even think that, that topic would be ok to talk about in front of the enemy?