Chapter 13: Bullets and Bed Pans

Chapter 13:

“Well I don’t see any obvious clinical signs as far as a disease process to explain your gastric upset.” Kyrie concluded after he had looked in my mouth, taken my temperature, felt my larynx and lymph nodes and listened to my gut sounds with his stethoscope.  “What was your diet like at home?” he asked, putting the stethoscope around his neck causally.

“Define diet.” I mumbled, glancing at the proverbial gorilla in the room that had seated himself on the counter next to the sink just left of the island. Kyrie bent his knees a little so that he was looking more directly at me. His eyes bore into mine, telling me silently that it was alright to speak the truth in this matter even when the monster could hear.

“What kind of foods did you eat on a regular basis?” he asked.

“Water, bread, whatever we had in the garden.” I replied. Some part of me knew that Kyrie already knew what kind of diet I had over the last couple of years. Why he wanted me to describe it in detail in front of the monster was beyond me.

“Any good source of protein?” he asked, picking up my hand and feeling the muscle in my arm pensively. I occasionally caught a rabbit and I fished in the summer, but it was illegal for humans to hunt or fish on werewolf lands so I was at a loss on how I should answer the question. Kyrie smiled softly at me, reassuring me.

“Juni you can be honest. I can’t betray doctor patient confidentiality.” He told me. I looked over at the monster instinctively. Kyrie chuckled. “Sean won’t report you for anything either. It’ll just make more work for him to get you back out of it.” he assured me. The monster grunted but made no other response. Oh what the hell.

“I eat what I can hunt or fish. But not very often.”

Kyrie nodded.

“How many times a day did you eat?” he asked

“Once.”

“Consistently?”

“No…once if at all.”

A growl suddenly rumbled through the kitchen and both Kyrie and I looked over at Sean who was now standing beside the island with an expression on his face that was angry and pained, the animal glowing in his eyes. 

“Mate was starved.” He growled. I could almost imaging hackles rising on his human form. I was officially terrified.

“Appears so.” Kyrie agreed making the monster snarl louder. I look at Kyrie in panic and disbelief. Why the hell was he egging the beast on? The monster’s frame was shaking with rage and viciousness. His eyes locked onto my face and suddenly snarled louder, if that were possible, stalking to the door.

“You watch mate. I-I have to…” he managed to growl out before storming out of the room and then out of the apartment, slamming the door behind him so hard that it shook the floor two rooms over. Kyrie went over to his bag and started digging through it like nothing had happened.

“What the hell Kyrie?” I half yelled. “Why’d you have to go and piss of the damn monster?” I ranted at his seemingly uncaring form.

He finally turned back to look at me with an apologetic smile.

“You wanted him to leave didn’t you?” He asked with a knowing expression. The light bulb clicked on in my head.

“You did that on purpose. You knew that would happen.” I stated, feeling a certain awe of him seep into my voice. Kyrie shrugged.

“I’ve learned what buttons to push. Werewolves, especially those with human mates, become very concerned with their mate’s health. Hearing about past trauma…makes them a little irrationally angry. He’s new to having a mate so I was sure that he wouldn’t be able to handle hearing about it and would leave before he frightened you.” he explained.