Chapter 46: Outside Alone: Part 3

A/N: Finally done!!!! I apologize for the long wait and for the extended time frames. I have been working a lot more over the past two weeks, which is good for my bank account, but really bad for my writing schedule. I have fallen alseep with my laptop open in my lap after writing a grand total of two sentences five times this week. This post is severely unedited and most of it was written in a half dream state at 2:00 am. Hopefully it will still surprise you and keep you guessing!

So...Cheers and happy reading!

Chapter 46: Outside Alone: Part 3

“Then why do you fucking care?”

The man still holding the knife asked, voicing all of our shock. Dumbfounded expressions crossed all of the drunken men’s previously terrified faces. The werewolf’s rebuttal of their apologies seemed to shock them into a non-alcohol related stupor, but unfortunately it didn't make their choice of questions any more sophisticated. 

 “Why save this pathetic human bitch?”

I would have taken offense to that if I hadn’t been scared enough to wet my pants and dizzy enough not to know if I was. However, this did not mean that the drunken man’s comment did not offend anyone.

The Beta’s eyes flashed from steel grey to jet black in an instant, his canines elongating somewhat in his human state. The slanted light illuminated his fangs at sharp angles, matching the dangerous predatory edges of his face.

All of the men took a step back, realizing their fear of the monster before them once more. Surprisingly, the monster did not growl as was expected for most of his species. He just showed his enlarged denture and began to make a noise which at first confused me and then made me doubt my own sanity.

“That bitch has a gun pointed at you.”  The Beta chuckled darkly.

The men all spun around to find that the monster before them spoke the truth.

The shock on their faces was almost equal to that of my own.

I didn’t even remember drawing the weapon, but somehow I was gripping the cold heavy steel of my father’s pistol in my surprisingly steady handcuffed hands. The weight of this realization seemed to ground me, reducing the spin of the frightening world. Now that I had my hands on an equalizer, the panic that I had felt was abating.  

The men seemed to realize the severe shift in their circumstances as much as I did, unfortunately for them the tables had been temporarily turned in my favor.

“You have three options, Juniper.” The Beta dictated bluntly, bringing their gaze from me back to him. They looked even more petrified than before, shooting wild glances between the rock and hard place that now entrapped them.  “You could let these rats scamper out of here, you could shoot them, or you could allow me to dispatch of them on your behalf.” As he reached the end of his list, he let the beast inside twist more of his features, elongating his face and sharpening all of his teeth into wicked razors. “The choice is yours.”

My sobering eyes surveyed the group of men before me.

They were absolutely terrified. Most of them were shaking and there was one with an unmistakable stain on the crotch of his pants where he had pissed himself. Gone was the threatening faces and drunken confidence.  All they were now was a group of frightened animals, seeing their deaths flash before their eyes in multiple ways.

Somehow, all that I felt for them in this moment was a mild disgust.

“Let them go.” I found myself whispering, my voice not sounding like it belonged to me.