Chapter 38: The Lying Game

Chapter 38:

“Shit.”

It was the only word that could describe this situation and it was the only thing I could think to say for almost fifteen minutes after the Alpha had left the apartment.

After I had told him that my cousin who lived thousands of miles away was his mate.

After I lied right to his face.

Just….shit.

As soon as that sadistic bastard pointed at Chey’s six year old chubby cheeks I didn’t even hesitate to lie. The lie flowed out of my lips without me even processing it or thinking about it. My brain somehow had gone into ultimate survival mode and had picked out the falsehood before I could even think through the entire ramifications of the lie.

 It was the only way I could fathom of keeping my sister safe.

It was the only thing that I could come up with to keep that…thing away from my sister.

But what the freaking hell was I supposed to do now?

He would figure out that I had lied….he would figure that part out pretty damn quickly. What the hell was I supposed to do when he found out? What would happen to Chey if he found out? How much time did I have until he found out?

Just thinking about what that monster could do to my sister…thinking of what had happened to me, happening to my baby sister made me have to bite my own hand to keep from screaming out loud.

That couldn’t happen. I couldn’t let something like that happen to her…not to anyone else.

What was I supposed to do?

There was only one thing I could think to do.

I shakily got up and made my way to the kitchen, picking up the phone and calling the first  number that I could think of. I had to redial twice with how bad my hands were shaking.

“Hello?” Ile’s voice picked up, sounding chipper on the other end of the line.

“This is Juniper….could you send Kyrie over here…I fell and hit my head on the coffee table and I don’t feel so good.” I lied.

Again.

Apparently my shaking voice backed me up on this one.

“Oh my gosh. Are you bleeding anywhere?” she asked, her voice sounding shocked.

“No….I’m just having trouble seeing straight.” I told her. At least that part was true. After the two blows I had taken to the face my vision was still not completely normal. I heard her speaking away from the phone for a moment before she returned to the call telling me that Kyrie should be over at the apartment shortly.

By the time that I hung up the phone, got up and managed to make myself walk into the living room there was a knock on the door. I walked toward it hesitantly this time, making sure to look through the peep hole before opening the door and allowing Kyrie to come into the apartment. He looked a little disheveled, a t-shirt on instead of his usual grey sweater and his face worried.

“Juni, Ile said that you-Oh my God your face Juni.” He blurted when I turned to face him after shutting the door. Immediately his hands were on my cheeks, gently turning my numb face toward the light.

“Who did this to you Juniper because you sure as hell didn’t fall down.” He commanded, looking stern.

“The Alpha was here and-“

Kyrie’s body shuttered and he looked at me with an expression that was the most horrified that I had ever seen him look.

“Why the hell was that bastard here?” he asked, pulling me into the living room and forcing me down into a chair so he could look at my face better.