Chapter 10: Grendel

A/N: Against great odds I found enough time to actually write some more! The plot will begin to pick up more very soon. I don't have a ton of time to write so I probably won't upload for a while again. Happy reading!

P.S. And because I am a nerd, Beowulf has wrangled its way into this chapter. If you have not read Beowulf, Google it...or else you may not understand how lame I actually am.

Chapter 10:

“And this is our apartment.” The monster beamed as he led me to the last door on the hall. He held my hand. He wouldn’t stop smiling at me, touching me, kissing me on the cheeks or lips. This is how it had been.

I hadn’t seen the monster’s true face since that night.

The manic stage was over.

He put his key into the lock and opened the door holding it open for me. I walked in. I didn’t look at him. I didn’t like seeing the way he looked at me. I was like looking at a love-struck puppy.  I hated it. I hated him.

He walked in behind me and locked the door again. Really?

As if I could leave…yet.

The tracking device on my leg said as much.

I was under house arrest until after my hearing in two weeks. I would not be able to leave this apartment for two weeks.

“Let me take you on the grand tour.” He announced beaming as he took my hand and led me forward again. “This is the living/entertainment room.” he announced as he pulled me in through the foyer into another room. The room was painted grey with white trim and hardwood floors. There was a couch and an entertainment center along with a plush white carpet on the floor beneath the coffee table that separated the couch from the huge flat screen television.

“And the kitchen and dining rooms are this way.” he continued pulling me through two more rooms. A small dining room with a dark cherry table and maroon walls and a larger kitchen with granite countertops, yellow walls and dark wood cabinets.

“The guest bedroom and half bath are down that hallway and our bedroom is right down here.” He continued.

Our bedroom.

I cringed.

He pulled me into the room and then stood back to let me look at the room I supposed he meant to impress me.

“I painted and set up the room myself. I wanted it to be perfect for my mate when I found her.” He told me.

Yep…it was supposed to impress me.

It was a large room with dark hardwood floors and soft green walls with white trim. The bed was a monstrous sleigh style bed with clawed feet and stanch white sheets. There were paintings on the walls of nature scenes. It was a nice room.

But the fact that I would have liked it made me hate it.

Nothing he made for me I would ever like.

He was staring at me searchingly, apparently waiting for some sort of reaction from me.

“It’s nice.” I mumbled, making him bear an even wider grin. Any response from me made him happy. And his happiness sickened me.

“And the master bath is through that door.” He motioned. “But the best part is over here.” He grinned, once again taking my hand in his paw and leading me toward the curtains on the far side of the room. He pulled them back to let in a large amount of light and expose a set of French doors which lead out onto a veranda style balcony. He opened the door and pulled me out onto it, pulling me straight to the edge.