Chapter 45 Part 2: Inside the Mind of the Monster: Kiss Goodbye

A/N: Hey guys! So once again LONG TIME NO UPDATE! I know, I know. There is only so much coffee I can drink in a day so story writing has been on the back burner for a while. I wanted this chapter to be longer, but since I promised by Sunday I figured I would at least put another part up. Thank you all for being so patient and supportive! Happy reading.

Chapter 45 Part 2: Inside the Mind of the Monster: Kiss Goodbye

As soon as I picked up the phone and started to dial the number, the phone started to ring. My arm jerked in surprise as the phone buzzed in my hand before I looked down at the number. As the contact flashed across the screen I raised an eyebrow in confusion. Why the hell would they be calling me? With an exasperated and somewhat bitter sigh I answered the call and brought the phone to my ear.

"Blakewell." I answered gruffly, wanting to get off of the phone as quickly as possible. Every time one of the subordinate wolves from the border patrol called me it was about something stupid. Human teenagers throwing rocks at patrols, human teenagers spray painting walls in the lower sector, human teenagers out after curfew.

Being the head of juvenile human education and surveillance required me to put up with a whole lot of stupid.

"Sir, this is Officer Jackson with the lower sector boarder control, I hate to bother you while you are at the tribunal." The officer began, his voice sounding young, unsure, and reluctant. I glowered and rubbed my hand through my hair. For the first time in months I have something to do that is important and I have to put up with a damn pup of an officer who can't handle some stupid human children. I didn't have time for this right now.

"I hate to be bothered, but that hasn't changed the situation." I bit out into the phone feeling impatient. "What do you want?"

"I-I well...um...sir, we have a little bit of a-a situation." The young officer stuttered. I sighed heavily and growled low into the phone.

"I have better things to do that listen to you stutter like a blushing school girl, Jackson. Spit it out." I demanded.

"There was a disturbance at the docks, a human by passed the patrols and set off a flare gun after curfew. She even managed to incapacitate one of the patrol officers with a taser, though we are not sure where she got it."

I listened to the events described by the younger officer and only one face came to my mind. There was only one woman I knew that would have the guts to break curfew, run from patrols and taser a werewolf.

Juniper.

The creature surged to the front of my consciousness with just the thought that she had escaped.

"Who is she? What does she look like?" The creature growled into the receiver with anger and an undertone of fear.

"It is not your mate sir." The officer hastily began. "We've been monitoring her tracer feeds and the security tapes all day. She and the rest of the humans are still in the apartment."

The young officer's immediate response didn't sink in at first. It took balling my hands into fists and forcing myself to take several deep breaths to actually hear his words about the snarl of the creature. It wasn't her. She hadn't tried to run away from me, from us. When the creature finally retreated I unclenched my fists and winced as my elongated claws retracted out of the flesh of my palm. By the time I looked down at the wounds they had healed, leaving only blood as evidence.

This had become typical by now.

It seemed like every time I was afraid the creature may take control I resorted to using physical pain to lock him out. It was inadvertent but had so far proven to be successful. Because I healed quickly, the self-mutilating restraint hardly left any evidence. I wiped the blood away on the hem of my pants before remembering why I was on the phone to begin with.