Chapter 45: Part 3: Questions, Answers, and Fears

A/N: As usual it has been a long time since I have updated. I am really sorry. School, work, my slightly stupid (but loveable) dog deciding that maybe being road pizza would be fun, more work, graduate school interviews, work and work have made life SO much harder than usual. This part is a bit different because it has THREE different points of view in one. Argos' POV is a little shorter than the rest (because quite frankly he kind of freaks me out right now) but Chey's is pretty long to make up for it. I do not plan on switiching back to these two POVs often so enjoy while it lasts!

Chapter 45: Part 3: Questions, Answers, and Fears

Argos:

                Could a werewolf run faster than a plane could fly? As I leaned against the facade of the entryway to the main pack building I marveled at the impossibility of such a notion. It was laughable even to assert the statement as if  "yes" was an option.

But he was here. I had been alerted that my dear cousin had already cleared the northern boarders and was heading into the middle district. Of course he only got through the boarder because I let him. Because I did in fact arrive before he even registered on the map I could have very well have barred his entry and headed into the pack builing to taste the blood of the liar my wolf so desperately craved. 

But because the answer to the first quandary on planes and werewolves was obviously, no, a second question begged to be raised.

Just how much faster could a plane fly than a wolf could run? Although I wanted nothing more than to march up the stairs and rip the beating heart out of the little sniveling bitch that had lied to my face and stole the identity of my true mate away from me, I couldn’t help but be curious. I could argue that my curiosity was the only reason I waited the fifteen minutes that it took for Sean’s beast to barrel past the outer boarders, but there were somewhat more moral reasons as well. I would kill my cousin’s mate and I would try to enjoy it as much as possible. There was no stopping that from happening. What gave me pause was my cousin himself. Sean was a very protective and loyal werewolf and his connection to the spiteful little witch upstairs was undoubtedly fierce. If he arrived to a slain mate he would most likely go mad with anguish, he would blame himself for not coming soon enough, and he would kill himself or become a plague against others. With the new experience of seeing my mate’s eyes, feeling the connection to her I could not deny him the right to fight for the life of his mate. It was a death more fitting for a high born wolf. It was a death more fit for family.

                I looked up from my musings just in time to see a dark form barreling in through the cold torrent of rain, nearing the main house where I stood in wait with alarming speed. What a pity, I couldn’t keep myself from thinking as Sean’s beast skidded to a stop several feet from the bottom of the stairs. What a pity it would be to kill such a creature.

 He remained in his beast form, even though I was still wearing my human skin, crouching on shaking legs before me. We stood for a good moment and just stared at each other. Sean’s beast had always been impressive. He sported the same dark coat of the eastern alpha bloodline; he was smaller than my Beta, yet faster and more agile. He was a valued comrade and a fierce opponent for any werewolf, but this fight he would not win. Not only was I the better fighter on a good day, the question that I had challenged Sean to answer had left his beast worse for wear. His legs where quaking with exhaustion and his form teetered slightly with fatigue, he would be no match in this fight. I locked eyes with Sean and soon became aware of several things at once.

First of all it was clear that the beast inside of him was in control at the moment, his eyes were pitch black and the snarl that escaped his lips upon sight of me would have been blood curdling to any other wolf. But I was not any other wolf.