19. Nightmare

19. Nightmare

            I took a deep breath walking up the sidewalk toward the front door. I was really curious as to why Billy was here in the first place. Charlie didn’t mention anything about the possibility of him coming over this morning at the table. Maybe there was a game on TV that I didn’t know about. Then again, Charlie could have invited Billy over just to keep Mike out of the house.

I shrugged shoving the door open hearing voices from the living room. It struck me that Billy wasn’t the only one in the house with Charlie. I stepped into the house sighing in relief to be back home. No one from the outside would understand the relationship between Mike and me. There were things in our past that made things difficult for me to leave him at all. I shook my head against the memories attempting to surface behind my eyelids. I wouldn’t let myself go back there again.

“Bells? Is that you?”

I rolled my eyes at the sound of Charlie’s voice, “Yeah, dad. It’s me. I need to put my things away and I’ll be right back.”

I didn’t wait for a reply as I took the stairs. I heard the voices pick right back up at the sound of my footsteps moving up the stairs. I moved into my bedroom dropping my backpack toward the floor pulling off my coat along with my gloves. I was ready to be done with school and away from Mike. He couldn’t do anything when I apply for college and get away from him. The only problem I seemed to have forgotten, Edward was always in the back of my mind.

I knew what he was and I could easily talk with him about getting away from Mike. Even though Jessica was a royal b!tch, she didn’t deserve any maltreatment that would come at the hands of Mike. I was living proof of what Mike could actually do and she didn’t deserve it. If I were to leave Mike because of the abuse, he could kill or hurt someone else at school or on the street and I’d have to live with that on my conscious.

I smiled in the mirror of my bedroom as I slipped on some house shoes after removing my sneakers. Tonight I could get some actual sleep and not worry about Mike sneaking into my window. I left the smile on my face since I was actually truly happy for once, despite what was actually going on with me. I left my room entering the bathroom brushing my teeth from the food that I ate at the restaurant.

I went back to the stairs hearing the familiar voices mingled with Charlie’s voice. Entering the living room I saw Billy in his wheelchair beside Charlie’s chair, Jacob on the couch stuffing his face with a slice of pizza, and another boy sitting beside Jacob on the couch with dark skin and black hair also eating pizza. The boy looked familiar as if I had seen him at Billy’s house or somewhere recently.

“Bells, there you are. Billy called me up and said we hadn’t really hung out since dinner the other day. There’s a game on and I also thought you could use a break from cooking for a change.”

I nodded smiling at Charlie as I took the farthest spot on the couch beside Jacob. Jake seemed to have an attitude toward me lately and I didn’t want to make it worse. I discreetly saw the other boy beside Jacob elbow him with a grin on his face as they continued stuffing their face.

Billy looked at me strangely noticing I wasn’t grabbing any pizza, “Aren’t you going to eat, Bella?”

I smiled shaking my head, “No, I’m afraid not. I ate in Port Angeles with Mike and my friends.”

Billy’s eyes widened as he turned toward Charlie probably surprised that I was back with Mike. Charlie shrugged toward Billy’s strange look, “Not much I can do, Billy. She’s grown…”

Billy shook his head at this information before he returned to the TV. There was a football game playing on the screen but I was surprisingly happy and content. I hadn’t really spent much time around Charlie lately hiding myself away in my room but I had this urge to be close to him.