43. Eternal Family

43. Eternal Family 

Bella's POV 

I stand in the kitchen holding Elizabeth in my arms watching her beautiful blue eyes lighten up at me. I reach over carefully rubbing her stomach again enjoying her laughter and giggles. Considering both babies are around cold people with the exception of Seth and Jacob, of course, she's covered in a onesie. Her tiny toes are covered in socks while her small fingers are flexing before my eyes. I know Anthony is either with Rose or Esme but probably Esme. Considering our flight is tomorrow, Esme has to get her grandmother duties all squared away. I smell someone else enter the kitchen and I look up toward Carlisle. Thankfully the hospital gave him time off to deal with the family tragedy of his son losing his fiance. I try not to think about the upcoming funeral for me. 

Apparently Esme is supposed to help Charlie with some of the planning. I didn't hear much of it considering I hated thinking about a distraught Charlie. My mother would probably attend but she wouldn't bat an eyelash. She didn't respect my choice of continuing the pregnancy let alone getting married at such a young age. Charlie was my main concern but I was trying not to think about him. 

"Hello Carlisle. Want to hold her?" I asked him. Carlisle hadn't been able to hold the children much lately. He was constantly on the phone with Eleazar to make arrangements with him as well as Tanya. We didn't have confirmation that Laurent, the human drinker, had returned with Irina but she was due back at any time. After all it was her house for centuries, she wouldn't be denied access just because I came along with two human children. "If you're alright with it. I was just thinking that they are going to leave and I haven't been able to really see them," Carlisle says. I shake my head, "Not at all. Come," I wave him toward me. He moves around counter toward me and I hand him the baby. Out of everything in the house, Carlisle is more of a natural holding the baby than I ever expected. "I guess you've got some practice with babies in the hospital, huh?" I ask watching him holding her gently. 

Whenever I hold either one of them I'm constantly checking to make sure I don't hold too tightly. "Oh, yes. I've delivered countless children over the years to human mothers. It's one of the reasons I was able to calmly deliver these two wonderful beings," he says. Carlisle moves to sit on a bar stool smiling down at Elizabeth. "I guess Seth was right. She does look like a Lizzy," He murmurs giving her gooey eyes. At first watching Seth with Elizabeth was nice but the way things have been going lately I don't know how it will work. At the mention of Seth, he enters the kitchen with a wide smile on his face but I can see the sadness in his eyes. I suppose we're lucky Seth is on summer break so that he can visit Elizabeth. I would expect him as often as possible despite the distance between La Push and Alaska. 

"I knew someone would agree," Seth grins as he stands beside Carlisle watching Elizabeth. Seth has quite got the holding a baby thing down just yet. He's more into watching her reactions to everyone else over him. I've had him sit beside me for hours just watching her sleep or blowing spit bubbles with her drool. It's both creepy and adorable from a certain perspectives. Behind Seth another scent enters the house which is closely related to Seth's own scent. Seth's sister, Leah Clearwater, stands in the entrance of the kitchen with a scowl on her face in cuttoff jean shorts and a sleeveless shirt. Leah is the first and only female shifter the pack has ever seen. She most certainly doesn't like any of us but appears to tolerate us only for Seth's sake. 

"Good afternoon, Leah," I say giving her a smile. She might not like me but we are forever tied to each other because of Seth and Elizabeth. She wants to glare but she just gives me a blank stare and a nod before staring at her brother. Seth makes goo-goo faces at Elizabeth who merely giggles showing her toothless mouth. Elizabeth is rather big compared to Anthony. Despite being twins there are obvious differences and their size is most definitely one of them. Edward suddenly enters the room from the back door since he was outside with Jasper talking about the situation with Lauren in Alaska. Jasper is apparently the most trained to deal with vampires of the human drinking variety. I'm most curious in the coming months to hear all about his, Carlisle's, and Alice's pasts.