8. Threat

8. Threat

            I push myself from the door moving into the living room. Charlie sits in the recliner staring at the TV. I sigh moving to the couch deciding to stay down here with Charlie for a little bit. I need a little time around Charlie today with everything that has taken place lately.

Charlie smiles at me as I lounge out on the couch. I glance toward the TV but I can't make out faces. My eyes blur for a moment as I quickly rub them dry. I sigh shaking my head as I try to concentrate on the game playing across the screen.

It suddenly crosses my mind that I never completed the rest of my homework as Mike and Charlie showed up. I mentally groan shaking my head at the revelation that I won't be getting that done tonight.

"So, how was studying with Edward today, Bells?"

I smile shrugging my shoulders, "It was fine, dad."

Charlie smiles but it quickly falls from his face, "Bells, I understand that you like Mike and everything, but there's something about that I don't like."

I nod, "He gets like that a little bit. He's really sweet most of the time though, dad."

Something sparks within Charlie's eyes as if he knows I'm lying through my teeth. I'm thankful for the dim lighting here in the living room so that Charlie can't see my red face. I've trying to sharpen my lying skills, but it doesn't work out the way I want it to.

Charlie sighs shaking his head, "I just don't like Mike, Bella. Just do me a favor, after you get better and go back to school stay away from him for a little while. I don't feel comfortable with you around him while he's getting angry with everyone."

I frown nodding my head not really paying attention to the words he said. I don't think Mike will take that very well. He doesn't ever usually listen when I tell him Charlie has put me in chains for the weekend. I remember even before Mike began to change that he talked me into leaving my room one weekend when Charlie was still asleep. I remember going out into the dark forest scared out of my mind with Mike holding my hand pulling me into an open wide space. We laid watching the beautiful night sky falling asleep accidentally and I had been very thankful when I found out Charlie didn't have time to wake me that morning.

I glance up toward Charlie nodding my head but in reality, I know there won't be much chance I'll be following Charlie's demands.

"Of course, dad. I'll stay away from Mike until he calms down a bit."

Charlie smiles, nodding his head as he returns to watching TV. Something hangs in the air as if Charlie has something else on his mind. I sigh shaking my head, "Dad, was there something else you wanted to say?"

Charlie bites his lips nodding before lowering the volume on the TV, "Bella, first I want you to stay out of the forest anytime soon. There have been a few attacks recently and it hasn't been good. I need you to tell the rest of your friends this as well because we don't want any injuries from anyone else."

My eyes widen nodding my head, "Sure thing, dad. I heard something about that from some of the students. I believe it was some hikers or something."

Dad nodding sighing, "Yeah, sometimes I wish the Newton Outfitters hadn't gone out of business. We didn't have as many attacks with hikers because they always told the tourists where to go and where not to go. It's such a shame."

I nod trying to block out the events happening after that moment. Charlie nods wiping his chin, "Second, I was wondering since you have some new found freedom away from Mike, please try to see Jacob. He hasn't been having such a good time on the reservation lately."