7. Dinner

7. Dinner

            I stand behind Charlie as Mike glares at me while Charlie isn’t looking at him. Charlie sighs glancing up at Mike, “Mike, I think it’d be best if you went on home now. Bella isn’t having any other visitors for the evening. She’ll be out of school until her arm is healed.”

I nibble on my bottom lip watching at Mike’s left eye twitches, a sure sign that he’s angry. I move my leg in the direction of Charlie’s arm hoping to stop him from getting Mike any madder. Suddenly another stone cold hand reaches toward my arm keeping me in place.

A shiver breaks through my skin at the temperature. I turn my head looking down at my arm to see Edward’s pale hand clutching my arm in his grip. I glance up at his face to see his eyes fierce and anger taking the place of his face.

Something tells me I should be scared of him like this. Something is telling me that I should grab both Charlie and Mike to get as far away from Edward as possible. Another more rational part of me tells me to stay put and frozen in place for Edward would never hurt me.

I forget about Mike for a moment reaching my hand toward Edward’s on my arm. He instinctively glances down and I can see his eyes are a less gold color. My eyes widen at the sight knowing that they were completely golden when he first arrived. Something’s up with Edward Cullen.

I turn my head back toward the door to see Charlie frowning toward Mike. Mike hasn’t made any effort to move from his spot at the moment. I shake my head grabbing Charlie by the arm, “Let me talk with Mike and then I’ll start on dinner.”

 Charlie shakes his head, “No, Bella. Mike is going to leave because you aren’t feeling well. I can tell you’ve been moving around more than necessary today. Your arm has to be hurting.”

I sigh lowering my gaze toward the floor. Charlie must nod toward me as he steps into the house from outside. I look back up as Edward pulls me back inside the house. Mike moves his leg as if he’s going to step into the house as well against Charlie’s orders.

Charlie shakes his head toward Mike holding his hand up, “Mike, go home! I’m not going to tell you again. If I have to tell you again, I’m going to put you in that cruiser and take you to the station. I don’t care how bad you have it at home; you aren’t going to start anything at my house. Now this is the last time I’m going to say anything, go home Mike!”

Mike’s glare intensifies as he glances toward me. I notice his eyes reflect toward Edward and the anger shakes his face before he turns on his heel moving back toward his car. I sigh in relief that both Charlie and Edward don’t get hurt because of me.

I know Mike is the one hurting them but it’s my fault. If I wasn’t so damn clumsy I wouldn’t have fallen when bumped into at that worst idea of a birthday party. From now on I will not be having another birthday for as long as I shall live.

Charlie sighs shaking his head and shutting the door. He smiles at us, “Well that was something wasn’t it?”

I shake my head at Charlie’s assumptions. I can’t believe that he is so calm about what just happened. Then again, maybe he’s only putting up a front for me so that I don’t get worried he’s figuring everything out. I step back into the living room as Edward releases his grip from my arm.

I can hear Charlie putting his gun belt and jacket up at the door. My nerves are in overdrive at Mike’s scene he just causes. It won’t be long before the entire town knows what Mike’s done to me. A throbbing sensation alerts me toward me arm seeing the stitches on the arm and the pain coming up.

Charlie comes into the living smiling at Edward, “Edward, would you like to stay for dinner? It’s our way of saying Thank You for everything you’ve done for my Bells.”