5. Breakable

5. Breakable

The next morning I wake up from the sound of my alarm as usual. I can hear Charlie downstairs as I slowly push myself up to a siting position. My arm stings in pain and my stomach rumbles as I realize I am a little hungry. I reach out pulling the cord on the lamp on my bedside table enveloping the room in light.

I look down at my arm rolling my eyes at the gauze still wrapped around my arm. The stitches look strange on my skin reminding me of a movie where someone has been all stitched up. I carefully pull myself up to my feet my eyes searching the room for some kind of robe. I can only guess that Charlie agrees with Carlisle and Edward on me staying home for the rest of the week. I cannot afford the stitches to come out.

I find a dark blue robe sitting on the back of my desk chair. I quickly yet carefully of my arm pull the robe on my body. A chill runs through the room and I look outside to see it drizzling just a little bit.

I jam my feet inside a pair of slippers moving to my bedroom door. I look both ways down the hall hearing Charlie downstairs no doubt in the kitchen. I pull the door close behind my holding my arm close to my chest. I walk down the stairs hearing the weather channel on the flat screen.

I walk toward the kitchen where the light is shining brightly down on Charlie. He is sitting at the table dressed in his police chief uniform drinking a cup of coffee while reading the paper.

“Dad?”

He jumps from the sound of my voice looking up toward me. He smiles at me, “What are you doing up, Bells? I hope you don’t think you’re going to school.”

I shrug, “I figured you’d be on Carlisle and Edward’s side on all that. I forgot to turn off my alarm clock and it just woke me a few minutes ago. Not to mention I got a little hungry.”

He smiles nodding, “Find something to eat and then get back to bed. You need to rest and keep that arm tucked away tightly.”

I nod walking around him toward the cabinets. I find a cereal bowl and a box of corn flakes sitting them on the table. I grab the carton of milk from the fridge grabbing a clean spoon from the rack of clean dishes. I take the chair across from Charlie as he pulls the mug to his lips sitting down the newspaper.

“So, Bella, I was hoping you would be a little more truthful about what happened last night. Something just does not feel right about what you and that boy Edward told me last night. I am not going to get mad at you, Bella. Just tell me what really happened.”

I should have known it would not be that easy to keep the truth from Charlie. He is the chief of police in Forks, it is his job to find out when someone is telling the truth or lying to his face. I plaster a fake smile on my face knowing he cannot tell the difference between the fake one and a real one.

“Dad, what we told you, last night, is what happened. Mike was just really worried about the broken glass case in the kitchen. I can only guess how mad is mother was about all of it. She pulled in as I left with Angie and Ben to the hospital.”

Charlie stares at me for a few seconds probably trying to detect a lie. He looks away sighing and shaking his head before looking back up at me again. He gazes into my eyes, “Bells, I’m here whenever you want to talk. I’ll always be here for you whenever you need me.”

I smile nodding my head before returning to my food. I pour in the cereal and then the milk stirring the cereal into the milk. Charlie grabs the paper once again changing the page in which he is reading.

“I’m going to give Carlisle a call or stop by the hospital so that Edward will stop by with your work. He can teach you some of material you missed. I know Mike is your boyfriend, Bells, but I do not feel comfortable with him being here after what happened last night. I will talk to Mike myself later about what happened. I will probably stop by the school to let them know that you will not be in the rest of the week. We can’t risk your arm and leg not healing because a stitch comes out.”