17. Struggle

17. Struggle

AN: This chapter includes things that may be inappropriate for readers under thirteen or fourteen. Images include drugs and sexual encounters including rape. Read at your own risk!

            The ride to Mike’s house was mostly quiet despite the radio blasting. Mike was shaky in his place behind the wheel telling me he was either high on drugs or suffering from withdrawal. I had seen him do drugs many times but it was his actions when he came off them. Sometimes he was extra mean, crabby, grouchy, but other times he was more abusive than usual.

I stared out the window the entire ride wishing above everything that was good in the world that I would disappear. I kept envisioning Edward running along side the car after reading everything I had read. I knew the truth about Edward now, I knew he could save me from Mike but I couldn’t even deal with Edward killing Mike.

Charlie was another problem on his own as Mike could easily hurt him. There was no way Edward or any of the Cullens would protect my father if something happened to him because of Mike. I knew Edward would do anything for me, I learned that in that past few weeks. The only problem was the rest of his family, if that’s what they called themselves. Rosalie absolutely hated my guts it was severely obvious with her actions toward me.

I knew since Mike was back in my life I wouldn’t have the chance to even converse with Edward or any other Cullen for that matter. I just hope that I find some way of talking with Alice at least. I’m sure Jessica and Lauren have gossiped about me to Mike behind my back like crazy.

Mike’s house was dark when we arrived. I figured it would be, as Mike never brought me over at this time when his mom was home. She usually went out by nightfall and didn’t return until daybreak or well after Mike was gone to school. Her car was also missing but that didn’t mean anything as she was probably using her dealer’s car in the first place. Mike cut the engine once we were in the driveway sighing under his breath.

“Mom will probably be back by morning. She was out and I wouldn’t give her anything. She’s been stealing my shit all week…”

Mike opened his door mumbling to himself as I shoved the door open. The blistering wind hit my face but I welcomed it as it gave me something else to think about. The wind will probably give me a horrible cold tomorrow, which will be the only way I can even contact Alice or Edward. Then again, once Mike finds out he’ll be over after Charlie left.

I stood with Mike at the door as he struggled to find the appropriate key for the door. He finally finds the key shoving the door open with his arm. I slip in the house behind him as he flips on lights throughout the house.

“Bella?!”

I quicken my pace toward the kitchen where Mike stands with the fridge door open. I can tell he’s a little angry having to call me to him. He hates it when I’m not right beside him when he needs me.

“Yes, baby?” I ask sweetly knowing that if I don’t, he’ll throw something at me. It’s happen too many times that I can’t count.

Mike raised his head from the fridge smiling lopsidedly, “Do you want a beer?”

I shake my head against the beer holding my hands up, “No thanks, Mike. I don’t need to get drunk as I’m going home later anyway.”

Mike shrugs nodding, “Suit yourself. More for me.”

Mike closes the fridge door popping the top off the bottle smiling toward me, “You’ll be happy to know I’m coming back to school. Being a senior the principal couldn’t suspend me. After everything with my dad last year, he rather understood a little bit at least.”