4. Ride Home

4. Ride Home

Edward holds the door of his father’s office open for me to step through. My arm is throbbing but I push past it. My mind whirls around so many different things at once. The question that jumps out the most is What if Mike finds out about this.

He can never find out about any of this. Edward and Carlisle will never be safe. I’d never forgive myself if I caused something to happen to them. Mike doesn’t believe a word I say anymore. He can’t find out about any of this at all.

The hallway is quiet except for the nurses scattering down the hall. I glance at Edward out the corner of my eye to see him tense and his shoulders stiff. I’ve never seen him so visibly angry before. Edward’s always the model student in school never doing anything to get in trouble. If I didn’t know any better, I'd say he tried flying under the radar as to not gain unwanted attention. It’s as if he purposely refrained from anything that might give him away.

I shrug my shoulders nodding at nurses that smile at me. On more than one occasion, I caught a couple nurses sneaking glances toward Edward. For some reason it annoyed me and grossed me out at the same time. He’s in high school which makes him way too young for any of the nurses that work here.

Most of them just seem desperate for attention. In my personal opinion, it makes them look like whores or sluts with the way they prowl at every good-looking male in a few feet radius.

For example, a nurse about a couple inches taller than me with light auburn hair walks down the hall. She’s pushing her fingers through her hair trying to straighten it out. Her eyes flicker toward Edward more than twice. She even seems to think that sticking her chest out a little more will gain his attention.

If anything, it turns Edward off. My eyes flicker up to his face to see visible disgust on his face. Then again, it’s probably not even about the nurse. He’s about to have to sit in a car with me, a girl he visibly hates. He thinks I stink for one, but that was only one time. I still don’t think I smelt bad at all. I had made sure that I smelled the best that day since it was my first day and all.

I remember afterward that I purposely tried to smell good whenever I past him. Maybe I over did it. He always ran the other way after I passed him acting as if he wasn’t breathing. I must smell awful to him.

My mind suddenly shows Mike’s face. The next day after Edward had changed his schedule, Mike was my newest partner. He told me I smelt amazing which made me mentally gag. His pickup lines never got better now that I think about it. I suppose I saw him as a lost puppy that was irritating me until the first date. It was surprising that we had so much to talk about even though it was boring things. Most of the conversation was awkward I admit but it filled the silence.

Edward stops at the elevator waiting for it to open. Edward sighs shaking his head as a pair of footsteps walk down the hallway. I turn my head to see the same nurse from before that thought sticking her chest out would help in capturing Edward’s attention.

She stops beside us glancing toward me briefly before turning toward Edward, “Hello Edward, how are you doing this evening? How’s your mom doing?”

I shake my head trying to tune out their conversation but not succeeding.

“I’m doing, fine, Nurse Pen. My mom’s doing great. She was at home cooking dinner when I left to come see my father.”

Suddenly the elevator dings opening to show an empty elevator that must have let out the passengers on the floor before us.

“Bella and I must get going. I need to get her home before the chief wonders where she is.”