9. Proposal

9. Proposal

            The next morning I woke thanks to the alarm left on my alarm clock. I need to talk with Charlie about going to the theater with Edward and Alice. I woke with a start as my alarm clock woke me. I keep having the same dream that I had the night before my birthday.

This time though the end of the dream had Mike coming from the forest with some kind of gun. I’m not exactly sure whom he was pointing it at but as soon as he shot the gun, my alarm went off so I’ll probably never know whom he was pointing it at.

I sit up in my bed pulling my knees to my chest. My lungs feel as if I am gasping as it feels like I’ve been shot in real life. I suddenly hear Charlie moving around from his room down the hallway. I think back to last night and when I went to bed. After Edward’s phone call, I was up late my mind second-guessing my choices of going with him and blowing off Mike. My choice will affect everyone I know not immediately, but eventually as Mike holds a grudge for a long time.

I shake my head grabbing my cover and tossing it down to the end of the bed. I glance down at my upper arm seeing the stitches in my arm and it beginning to throb as the medication has begun to wear off. I turn my head toward the bedside table grabbing the bottle of pain medication. I shake out two pills in my hands popping them into my mouth and swallowing them down my throat with a gulp of water.

I push myself up grabbing my robe from the back of the computer chair wrapping it around my body. I can hear Charlie moving down the stairs now telling me he must already be dressed and is going for his morning coffee and eggs with bacon. I smile grabbing my glass of water and walking out of my room.

I need to make sure that Charlie is all right with me going to Port Angeles with Edward and Alice Cullen. I can only hope and pray that he lets me go. I’m already so excited to go with them that I’m bursting with joy on the inside. One entire day out of Forks in Port Angeles without Mike around to watch my every move is a dream.

I pull my door close behind me moving down the hallway and walking down the stairs. I can now hear the television on in the living room. No doubt, the weather channel is playing loud and clear for Charlie. Sometimes I wonder why he even bothers with the weather channel as anyone can tell the weather in Forks just by gazing out the window.

I step off the last step into the living confirming that the weather channel is playing. I smile despite the nerves in my stomach. I’m in such a good mood that hardly anything can dampen it. If Charlie says no about me going with Edward and Alice or if Mike somehow finds out about the trip, my good mood will be tarnished.

The light drizzle outside warms me on the inside. I hope for a rainy day even in Port Angeles, as I know how the Cullens tend to go camping and that might stop them from the shopping trip.

I step into the kitchen seeing Charlie gazing at the newspaper in front of him.

“Hey dad.”

He glances up smiling at me his eyes lighting up at my cheery tone of voice.

“Bella, what are you doing up at this time? You aren’t going back to school until next week.”

I sigh rolling my eyes and taking a seat behind the table smiling sweetly at him, “I kind of guessed that, dad. I just wanted to ask you something…”

I trail off kind of hoping that he doesn’t assume something else.

He sighs taking a sip of his coffee before swallowing and answering me, “Bella, I was being honest last night about you with Mike Newton. If this question has anything to do with him, my answer is no.”