12. Scary Stories

Start from the beginning

“The cold ones?” I asked, not faking my intrigue now.

“Yes. There are stories of the cold ones as old as the wolf legends, and some much more recent. According to legend, my own great-grandfather knew some of them. He was the one who made the treaty that kept them off our land.” He rolled his eyes.

“You great-grandfather?” I encouraged.

“He was the tribal elder, like my father. You see, the cold ones at the natural enemies of the wolf – well, not the wolf, really, but the wolves that turn into men, like our ancestors. You would call them werewolves.”

“Werewolves have enemies?”

“Only one,” he stated.

I stared at him earnestly, hoping to disguise my impatience as admiration.

“So you see,” Jacob continued, “the cold ones are traditionally our enemies. But this pack that came to our territory during my great-grandfather’s time was different. They didn’t hunt the way others of their kind did – they weren’t supposed to be dangerous to the tribe. So my great-grandfather made a truce with them. If they would promise to stay off our lands, we wouldn’t expose them to the pale faces.” He winked at me.

“If they weren’t dangerous, then why…?” I tried to understand, struggling not to let him see how seriously I was considering his ghost story.

“There’s always a risk for humans to be around the cold ones, even if they’re civilized like this clan was. You never know when they might get too hungry to resist.” He deliberately worked a thick edge of menace into his tone.

“What do you mean, ‘civilized’?”

“They claimed that they didn’t hunt humans. They supposedly were somehow able to prey on animals instead.”

I tried to keep my voice casual. “So how does it fit in with the Cullens? Are they like the cold ones your great-grandfather met?”

“No.” He paused dramatically. “They are the same ones.”

My mind was a whirlwind of thoughts once he said that. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to converse with him any longer. Suddenly we heard a voice yelling from back on the main area. I could see Mike and Jacob’s friend, Sam, waving us over.

Just as quickly as our moment had started, it vanished into thin air. It would be impossible to get him to talk while Sam is hanging over his shoulder so I didn’t even try.

A couple of weeks had passed. I was paying more and more attention to the Cullens. Things had gotten worse at the main table. Since Rosalie seemed to have a hard time with Angela and me with Edward at the table, we decided to find another table. Jasper also seemed a little relieved that we weren’t sitting with them either.

Anyway, back to the situation at hand. I’m currently walking down the hallway toward the cafeteria. I’ve decided that I need to find a way to talk with Jacob. My truck has been sputtering a little bit so Charlie thought that I should leave it alone for a few days so that it could get its own breather.

Edward has been bringing me to school and taking me home for the past week. He seems happy about it, which was strange to me. Things were even stranger on Mike’s end. I haven’t seen him or heard from him in weeks. I don’t know whether that is a good or bad thing.

“Bella!”

I smile turning my head toward Angie as she comes to a stop beside me, “What are you doing today, Bella?”