Chapter Eighteen: The End

-Layla-

The dinning of Madison would  be entirely silent if it wasn’t for the sound of utensils scraping on plates. Breakfast is going along so slowly. The tension in the room is palpable.

“Can you guys stop? You’re making me depressed.”

All heads turn to me. But despite me wishes, sorrow reaps its way deeper into their hearts as they take me in. Madison’s eyes begin to water, and before long she is storming away from the table trying to hide her sobs. Colin gets up too, looking just as upset, and heads after his mom. I get up from the table and grab my stuff, Archer silently follows.

We make our way over to dad’s house and as expected he acts as though nothing has happened. Or at least tries to.

When he answers the door he hugs me for the tiniest bit longer, and while we watch tv he insists on letting me pick the show. Archer, on the other hand is silent throughout the whole ordeal. He doesn’t even speak ask we leave and drive back to my place.

We make our way up stairs and I begin to pack my hospital bag. Archer sits on the bed, watching me.

“Would you please just say something?” I urge.

His eyes meet mine, but he’s not all the way there. His eyes look soulless, as if between last night and this morning a piece of him died.

“What do you want me to say?”

“Anything. Just please talk to me.”

“Anything.” He responds deadpanned.

I glare at him.

“Sorry. I’m sarcastic when I’m anxious.” He takes in a dee breath and shakes off some of his anxiety. He motions me over and I take a seat on his lap, wrapping my arms around him. “How are you feeling about today?”

“I’m fucking terrified.”

“I am too.” After a moment of silence he speaks again. “You know you don’t have to do this right.”
“I have to. I don’t think I’ll be able to live with myself knowing that I could have extended our time together but chickened out at the last moment.”

“You’re sure about this.”

“I am.”

“Then promise me something.”

“Anything.”

“Make sure you’re coming home to me at the end of this all.”

“I Promise.”

-Archer-

The drive to the hospital was filled with failed attempts at making the mood lighter. We listened to some terrible stand up comedians, then she got me to sing her some Justin Timberlake. No matter how embarrassing it was, I would do forever if it meant making her laugh. And that might be the most beautiful thing in the world.

When she smiles, she makes all my worries melt away.

Well, it usually makes my worries melt away. Right now it’s the cause of my problems. Now that I’ve gotten just a taste of what life with her could be, I can’t imagine a life with our her. Or a life without that damned smile.

She’s my star in a universe of darkness. She’s what keeps me grounded and without her, I don’t know how I’ll exist.

When she parks at the front door of the hospital, the air in my lungs dissipate, and my body moves on autopilot. My legs carry me, just fast enough to stay close, but not too close. I can’t be too close to her right now.

You’re probably wondering why I keep referring to her as just ‘she’. That’s all thanks to the nightmare I had last night.

We were sitting in the hospital waiting for her to be called for surgery and when she was I said it. I said her name.

And at the sound of those five letters leaving my mouth, she dropped dead right at my feet.

I know that sounds really stupid but I’m not taking any chances.

She turns to me breaking my train of thought. It was then that I noticed our company. Her dad, my mom, and Colin all stand behind her with tears in their eyes. She looks to me, her chocolate eyes wide and full of life.

“They just called me to get prepped for the surgery. Want to come?”

With a nod of the head, I follow behind her like the lost puppy I am soon to become. They get her dressed in a hospital gown and give her the rundown of the procedure all the while ensuring her that she is completely safe.

Bullshit.

They have her sign some waivers basically saying ‘If she dies it ain’t our fault’. I couldn’t give a shit about them though because if anything happens to her I will sue this place into hell. The nurses walk out and tell her she has ten minutes before they’re ready for her. She turns to me tears brimming her eyes, and like the obedient little boyfriend that I am, I run to her cradling her body into my arms. She begins to sob into my shirt gripping me for dear life.

“Shh baby, you’re going to be okay.” I coo trying to convince both her and myself of this.

The nurse comes back in and tells her it’s time. I ask for one more minute and am fortunately granted it.

It’s now or never.

I release her and and stare into her eyes. Her soul calls out for me, begging me not to go. I take in a deep breath and hold her hands.

“L-Layla. I love you. I love you so much, it hurts to be away from you for too long. I need you to know that whatever happens today, I am yours, and nothing will ever change that fact.” With another deep breath, I fall to one knee and produce the ring that has been sitting in my pocket for the last few days. She begins to sob once more.

“Archer please don’t do this. I can’t handle this right now.”

“I’m not proposing okay? I need you to chill for a minute.” Her hyperventilating begins to calm down so I continue. “I need you to understand this, okay? I promise to you that I will be the best I can and I will give you everything you could ever want on one condition. You have to get up off that table and come back to me. I need you in my life and I don’t know what I will do without you. So please, promise me.”
“I p-promise.”

I slide the ring onto her left hand and pull her into my hold, capturing her lips in a tantilizing kiss. In the middle of it, the nuse comes in a escorts her onto a gurney to be rolled into the operating theater. I walk with her hand in mine all the way there.

“Layla-”

“Please don’t say goodbye to me. Not you too.” She pleads.

“I guess I’ll see you later?”

“Yeah. I’ll see you later.”

As they roll her beyond the doors of the theater our grip loosens until her hand is completely gone.

“I love you.” She calls out.

“I love you too. More than you’ll ever know.”