Chapter Eleven: He Knows

-Layla-

I pry my eyes open slowly, and am greeted with the familiar white light of a hospital.

I’ve spent too much time here already.

I try to sit up but find my body totally sore. I groan at the feeling and within seconds I feel someone grab my hand. And the weird thing is, I prepared myself to hear the deep rasp of Archer. Instead, all I got was the rushed and worried words of my father.

“Layla what the hell were you doing that got you shot? Are you kidding me you could have died! What would I have don't then? Huh? You know wh-”

“Great, she’s awake.” Another voice says.

I sit up slightly and see two suited men, one with a badge on his waistband.

“Ms.Harrison, I’m detective Parry and this is detective Santos” The blonde haired man says. “I know this is sudden, what with you just waking up from a medically induced coma and all but, if you’re up to it we would love to get your statement on what happened. The sooner we catch  whoever did this the better.” The detective continues.

Before I could even open my mouth, my dad was already up to defend me.

“What is wrong with you? My daughter just-”

“Dad! I’m okay to talk to the detectives. So please, leave.”

“But-”

“No offense dad, but I’m sure the detectives want every detail of the night” they nod as my gaze meets theirs “and frankly, I don’t want you to have those details so please.”

A frown takes place on my father’s lips as he sulks out of the room.

“I’m right here if you-”

“Thank You dad.” I interrupt and detective Santos gets up to close the door.

Now, you might be wondering why I just kicked my loving father out of my hospital room.

Well that’s simple really.

It’s because he can always tell when I’m lying.

“So ms.Harrison, should we begin.” Detective Parry asks, pulling out a notepad.

I clear my throat and take a sip of water before opening my mouth.

“Well, I’m going to be honest the story is a little embarrassing.” I say feigning shyness. “So my boyfriend and I- I assume you talked to him.”

“We did, but he was a little… distressed when we did so we didn’t get much out of him.”

Great! No one to deny my story.

“As I was saying, we went out to see a movie and after the movie I was feeling really hungry. He told me about this hole in the wall place on the outskirts of town that had the best italian food ever so naturally we went. After we got the food, we got back into the car and- well, the night was just going to perfect that I asked him to pull over.”

The tension in the room became palpable.

“So he did. Once he stopped the car, I, um, kinda started kissing him, then one thing led to another and we kind of, well you know, in the driver’s seat. We we were finished and dressed again, I got out of the car to stretch my legs and that’s when I heard the gunshot. I didn't see anyone but a few seconds later I felt something hit my leg. There was so much blood, I guess I passed out and-”

Before I could finish the room door flew open and I prepared to tell my dad off. But Archer was standing there instead.

And he looked pissed.