Forty-Three

"It just happened so fast

"It just happened so fast."

The phrase fell from Scott's lips more times than he could count, too many thoughts and memories flying through his head for him to stay focused on answering the questions from the police.

Chris told him repeatedly at Oak Creek what to say, engraving a lie into his brain that car thieves were the reason for his daughter's death. That the huntress was in the wrong place at the worst possible time, and the strangers held Lydia, Isaac, and Scott- leaving them unable to come to her aid.

"Don't get specific, Scott," he had reminded the traumatized boy, trying to keep his voice steady. "You saw something sharp and metallic. You think it was a knife. What do you say next? If you get confused, what do you always repeat?"

Scott inhaled sharply from where he had been supporting himself on the rusted gate. "It-It happened so fast."

"That's right," Chris nodded, softening his tone. "Say it again, Scott."

Finally, the teen wolf had raised his head with tears in his eyes. "How are you doing this?"

The man swallowed hard to get rid of the pain fighting to envelop him, having to glance away from Scott and remove the hand he had placed on his back. "It's what we do," he referred to his family- how they had coped with the losses in the past. "It's what we do."

Scott closed his eyes, squeezing them shut as if the next time he opened them, Allison would be standing right beside him with the stunning grin that made him weak at the knees.

No one could believe it. No one wanted to believe it, but no one could change it.

Instead, Lydia was clinging to his hand to act as comfort for him and herself. Isaac sat beside them on the couch in the sheriff's office, holding his head in his hands as Parrish continued to gently question about what they witnessed.

"Can you remember anything else?" Parrish looked up from his small notebook once silence answered him, seeing the teenagers staring aimlessly in shock. "Anything else? Isaac?"

"I'm sorry," the boy spoke softly, his voice cracking as he looked at the floor.

"It just happened so fast."

*^*^*^*

You killed her, the taunting voice murmured, echoing repeatedly. Just like how you're going to kill everyone else.

Sierra's blue eyes snapped open, her body lunging forward like she was breaking the surface of an ocean, little gasps stealing her breaths. Tears instantly rolled down her cheeks, her fingertips gripping tightly on to wherever she was laying.