Fourteen

THE ARRIVAL of Scott and Sierra surprised Morrell. She hadn't been expecting them to come to her for explanations. However, she allowed them into her office and shut the door just as if it was another guidance session with a student. She stared at them for a moment after they had all sat down, observing the way the pair was staring at her.

They sat close to one another, but it wasn't the same feeling of love Morrell had received when talking to Stiles and Sierra last year after Matt's death. Instead, it was laced with protectivity, as if someone were too come to close they'd defend each other instead of themselves. Neither of the teenagers had uttered a word, waiting for Morrell to be the first one to speak. Eventually, she did. "Why are you two even bothering with me?" she asked to no one in particular, crossing one of her legs over the other. "Especially since you know the clock is ticking, when you know someone else is about to be taken."

"By you?" Sierra replied, her lips pressed into a thin line as she tilted her head.

Morrell smirked, "Oh, come on, Sierra. Shouldn't you leave the interrogations to someone like Stilinski?"

The way the guidance counselor rolled her eyes while saying Noah's name made Sierra tick. Her blue eyes twitched and focused in angrily on Morrell. "I'd be very careful on how proceed," Sierra warned.

"Are you the one killing people?" Scott asked her seriously, enunciating every syllable.

Morrell mocked him. "Are you listening to my heartbeat?" The truth was both of them had been tuned in to her heart since they laid eyes on her. Sierra hated being lied to, and now that she was an empath it was even easier to discover the truth. Morrell leaned forward, her arched brows raising slightly as she said clearly, "No. I'm not the one killing people."

At the sound of a constant rate, Scott released a shaky breath. She was being honest. "The truth is," she started, leaning back in her chair, "I'm all that stands between Deucalion and the lives of your friends. I've been the one pulling the leash taut when they're salivating for a bite."

Sierra sat up. "What do you mean?"

"Deucalion wants a true alpha in his pack," Morrell answered and then moved her eyes to the girl, "and he especially wants you. He thinks the true alpha is Scott because of you. And a little distraction like a few human sacrifices isn't gonna dissuade him from the prize."

"I've only been an empath for seven months," Sierra argued. "I'm not what he thinks I am."

"I'm not an alpha," Scott agreed with his best friend.

"Just because you're not a true alpha or a true empath now, doesn't mean it's not going to happen eventually."

"Then what the hell is he waiting for?" Scott shouted from aggravation, slamming his hands on the desk. "What does he want us to do?"

"He wants to make a killer out of you," Morrell fired back with just as much fire. "That's what he does. If you kill people, either of you, it stops both transitions."

"And that's what he wants?" Sierra asked in confusion, feeling her heart rate increase from how serious Morrell was being. "He wants me or Scott...to kill someone."

"You want the psychologist perspective? He's an obsessive who both desires you and is threatened by you. I don't think you two are aware of how powerful you can be together and that's why if he can't have you-the objects he desires- he's going to destroy you. You'll either willingly become a part of his pack or you'll be killers, ruining any possible chances you have of being a true alpha, or a true empath."

"Neither of those are going to happen," Scott told her, more than determined to keep his word.

"Don't be so sure," she responded fiercely and sat back down. "You two are playing his game," Morrell announced. "And while you're trying to figure out what to do next, he's thinking ten moves ahead, with checkmate already in sight."