Seven

IT WASN'T SHOCKING to Sierra that Stiles wanted to skip English class in order to figure out more about the murders occurring once again in Beacon Hills. Though Lydia told them both to leave it to the sheriff, it was hard to accept because Noah didn't even know half the story. He was still completely oblivious to the world of werewolves, kanimas, and empaths and believed everyone was human.

These reminders led the junior clothed in plaid to remember a man who held a lot of information, one who always seemed to know more than anyone else. And that is why Stiles and Sierra were now standing in the lobby of the veterinary clinc, asking Deaton if they could talk to him.

Being the kind man that he is, Deaton allowed the two teenagers to follow him into the back examination room which let Stiles to right away start bringing up the triskele, the bank logo, and the mountain ash.

All of these items connected back to the Celtic druids, which Sierra read about the night before Derek and Scott broke Boyd and Cora out of the bank. One thing that had stood out to her after formulating the human sacrifice theory with Stiles, which was the druids particpated in the action on quite a wide scale. "Have you ever heard of the Lindow man?" Stiles asked Deaton impatiently as he continued to ramble. "The two thousand year-old body found in England?"

"He was found strangled, head bashed in, and throat cut, which is known as the three-fold death," Sierra took over, giving Stiles a wide-eyed glance that meant he needed to take a breath. "I found out there were also pollen grains in his stomach that ended up being-"

Deaton interrupted her by uncapping a glass jar and pulling out a familiar looking plant. "Mistletoe."

Sierra tilted her head curiously. "Yeah, how'd you know?"

"He always seems to know," Stiles replied before the older man could, bracing his arms on one side of the metal table while Deaton stood opposite of him. His voice raised unintentionally as he looked at the vet, "Why aren't you telling us?!"

Deaton however wasn't shaken by Stiles' tone. He calmly put the mistletoe back in the jar before he raised his eyes to the pair. "Maybe because when you've spent every moment of the last ten years trying to push something away...denying it, lying about it becomes a pretty powerful habit."

Sierra's face softened from how emotional the vet seemed and Stiles gulped, regretting getting upset when Deaton clearly didn't deserve it. "Alright, so this guy, is he a druid?" Stiles asked quietly.

It didn't take but a couple seconds for Deaton to say the murderer wasn't a druid. It's someone copying centuries-old practice from a people who should've known better. "Do you know what the word druid means in Gaelic?" the vet questioned and Stiles shook his head.

"Wise oak," Sierra mumbled under her breath, but it was loud enough for Dr. Deaton to hear.

"That's right," he confirmed with a small proud grin before he continued explaining how the Celtic druids were close to nature, just like empaths. "While empaths could literally connect with the animals and energy around them, Celtics did all they could in keeping balance," he stated, answering the question in the girl's mind if empaths ever committed sacrifice. They didn't. Unlike the Celtics, who did it for religious ceremonies and other events. "They were philosophers and scholars; they weren't serial killers."

"Yeah well, this one is," Stiles sighed just as Sierra's phone vibrated from her pocket.

She gave the vet an apologetic glance as she pulled it out to see Lydia calling her. Hitting the answer button, she quickly pressed the device against her ear. "Hey, Lyd," she greeted, shrugging slightly at the sight of Stiles looking at her with an eyebrow raised. "Now isn't a really good time."