Twenty-One

THE LIGHTS IN THE HOUSE FLICKERED OMINOUSLY, creating small sparks of yellow in the darkness. It was eerily silent; you couldn't even hear the wind howling outside. Sierra stood motionless, her focus locked on her reflection in the mirror. Her face seemed normal. She still had a light dusting of freckles over the bridge of her nose, her hair was still the same shade of caramel that reached just above her shoulders. Her physical appearance hadn't changed, but Sierra knew something was different.

"You could've saved me."

A voice caused her head to snap to her right, wondering who could've spoken. Her gaze swirled around her bedroom, finding no one other than herself. A light sigh escaped her lips as she decided she was simply hearing things. It was past one, and the night before was restless as well. Maybe it was her sleep deprivation getting the best of her.

"This is all your fault."

Her body fell rigid and goosebumps appeared on her bare arms while the wispy hairs stood up on the back of her neck. It wasn't the same voice as before, and that is why she froze like a statue. It came from behind her, as a dark whisper in her ear. She slowly turned back to her mirror nervously, scared of what might be there.

Her reflection glared back at her, seemed to have been washed over with a darker presence. Its silver eyes narrowed into a death stare, a twisted smile widening from the corner of her caret red lips. Before Sierra could even blink, a hand covered in blood shot out from its side and latched its fingers tightly around her throat.

"They're all gone because of you," her reflection angrily stated. "You killed her."

Sierra clawed at the grip desperately, trying to gasp so she could breathe while tears gathered in her ocean irises. Her mirror image only scoffed at the pathetic attempt and then yanked the girl through the reflection. Sierra landed on her knees roughly, coughing and sputtering as she took in air. The other version of herself seemed to have disappeared when Sierra shakily raised her eyes to see where she was.

She didn't recognize her surroundings, only worsening her fear. A black fence enclosed the area she was in, with spikes on top of the bars. Abandoned buildings were evenly spread apart, the windows smashed and shattered. Broken glass and destroyed furniture had been thrown through the glass, the remains decomposing in the streets. The lights flickered continuously as Sierra raised to her feet, trying to get a better sense of the sinister place.

When she turned, a metal sign hung above a huge barricaded gate

When she turned, a metal sign hung above a huge barricaded gate. "Oak Creek?" she whispered under her breath, not recognizing the name. Sierra walked quickly over to the entrance, hitting her body against it while she cried out for someone to let her go. "Let me out!" she shouted, feeling her fists becoming numb as she pounded on the wooded door.

"Let us in," someone answered menacingly.

Sierra whirled around and poised her hand in front of her, ready to protect herself. Instead of seeing the area she had just observed, she found herself in a dark hallway that seemed to never end. A sharp pain suddenly entered the side of her head from emotions being shot from all around her. Anger, Fear, Depression screamed at her through many voices, sobbing out of hopelessness.