CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER NUMBER TEN OF:REWRITE THE STARS

REWRITE THE STARS

THAT NIGHT, JAY COULDN'T sleep. Instead, he lied awake talking about Rosalie to Carlos. Carlos just wanted to sleep, but he let Jay go on and on. "Rosalie is difficult. She's not perfect. She's stubborn, and ignorant, and insecure. But she's smart and beautiful and she makes me feel things I didn't even know existed. I thought all the stories were fake and cheesy and way too corny. But when she came into my life and showed me that the stories weren't too fake or too cheesy or way too corny, I didn't even know how to react at first. She's so beautiful and every time she comes around. . . I get star stuck and my palms get all sweaty and I get all nervous." Jay looked down at his hands, the ghostly feeling of Rosalie's hands in his returning. He sighed and continued to ramble.

"Oh!" He smiled, "and I get this weird feeling in my stomach whenever she smiles. It's not rare to see her smile, I know that, because she's always so happy and full of this light that i've been missing on the island. I've had a girlfriend before, a lot and you know that, but I have never felt anything towards them the way that I feel towards Rosalie." He shook his head and waved his hands around in the air. "And she's my biggest fan. Did you hear her screaming her lungs out whenever we won? And I scored the winning shot? I was scared that she was going to break her whole body, because it's Rosalie. She's so small and fragile and whenever she hugged me, I got all stiff and yeah I didn't know what to do, but then I relaxed and just held her. It was the best feeling in the world."

Loud snores came from Carlos, false ones so Jay could shut up and go to bed. Carlos had a small smirk on his face once he heard Jay groan. "Really? You fell asleep. Jesus, Carlos, you snore so loud for being so small. But even if you are asleep, I'm going to just say a couple more things then I guess I'm gonna go to bed too. All I really have to say is: I hate that I hurt her. I never knew what love felt like. Never. Not even from my own father have I gotten love. Then I came here. I met rose. And well. . . now I know. Now I know what love feels like." Carlos frowned.

Jay was in love. Jay, the Jay that Carlos has known since forever, was in love. The boy who everyone thought his looks could kill, the way he sharply glared at everyone and didn't care about anyone outside of their circle, was in love with a princess. Jay shook his head and turned on his side, looking at the trophy that shined in the moonlight. With the plan that they've been keeping from everyone, he knew he'd never feel the same. He'd only become more broken than he already was.

Jay and Rosalie walked on the bridge that lead them to the Enchanted Lake. "On the Isle, there was this one pier I'd go away to get away from everyone when I needed a space for myself. Whenever I wanted to get away from all the expectations my father wanted me to live up to. It was always quiet and it was just me. Is there anywhere that you go when you want to be alone, Rosie?" Jay asked. Rosalie, who was walking ahead of him, came to a stop and turned to him.

With a smile on her lips, she nodded. "There's this one fountain that I always go to in the garden when I want to get away from the struggles of being future Royal Advisor and the pressure of being pictured as this perfect red princess. See how I said red? Since you know, my color is basically red instead of pink? That was bad, shit sorry." Jay laughed at her bad language and pulled her in for a hug, wrapping his arms around her neck whilst hers went around his torso. Rosalie looked up and admired Jay, taking in all his features.

"What are you smiling at?" Jay asked, furrowing his brows and making a face. Rosalie grinned and kissed his chin.

"You." She said cheekily, sending him a wink. Jay rolled his eyes and placed a soft kiss on Rosalie's forehead. Rosalie closed her eyes and felt the sensation flow all through her veins. Jay squeezed her one last time and they separated before making their way towards the Enchanted Lake.

          He had to get her back. Jay threw the covers off of him and slid on his shoes, Carlos smiling as he heard him call a 'be back later!' "Go get your girl, Jay." Carlos whispered before finally falling asleep.

——

ROSALIE WIPED A TEAR away as she stared down at the water of the fountain. She wished she had Melody there to help her through her first terrible heartbreak. She didn't hear the running footsteps arrive at the fountain, her mind was clouded with memories of her and Jay. Speaking of the boy himself, Jay stopped at the steps that lead to the fountain and thought if he should walk any further.

          Jay let out a breath and closed his eyes, the music coming right out of him. "What if we rewrite the stars? Say you were made to be mine. Nothing could keep us apart. You'd be the one I was meant to find." He sang. Rosalie sniffled and turned to look at Jay who was slowly walking towards her. "It's up to you, and it's up to me.  No one can say what we get to be. So why don't we rewrite the stars? Maybe the world could be ours. . . Tonight." Jay approached Rosalie fully, taking her hands into his.

          "I know you probably hate me right now, to the point where I'm guessing you don't even want to look at me, but just listen. I know we have our differences, that people are going to want us not to be together because we're polar opposites. You're a princess that lives in this perfect world and that's had everything handed to her, and here I am: a villain that's grown up on a raggedy island and was never taught any better and has grown up thinking no one could ever love him or even care for him the way you've been caring for me." Jay explained. "But me and you, we can be something so fucking beautiful."

          Rosalie pulled her hands away and walked away, stopping and letting out a sigh. "You think it's easy? You think I don't want to run to you. But there are mountains,  And there are doors that we can't walk through. I know you're wondering why because we're able to be just you and me within our walls, but when we go outside you're going to wake up and see that it was hopeless after all." Rosalie walked back to Jay and placed a hand on his arm, Jay looking at her with sad eyes. "No one can rewrite the stars. How can you say you'll be mine?" Rosalie's voice cracked with sadness. "Everything will keep us apart. And I'm not the one you were meant to find. It's not up to you, it's not up to me. When everyone tells us what we can be. How can we rewrite the stars? Say that the world can be ours. Tonight."

          Rosalie and Jay looked into one another's eyes as they began to sing together. "All I want is to fly with you. All I want is to fall with you." Jay used his index finger and thumb to lift up Rosalie's chin. "So just give me all of you."

          Rosalie shook her head and pulled away from him. She let her back face him, her fists clenching and unclenching as she sang. "You know I want you. It's not a secret I try to hide. But I can't have you. We're bound to break and my hands are tied." With that, the redhead left Jay standing there with a single tear running down his face.