Chapter 48

He scooped that frail body out of the tub making water splash at the state of her.

He sat beside the tub on the bathroom floor with her limp body in his arms. She seemed way too small.

The redness of her cheeks was long gone and it took everything. Her cheerful face had nothing but gloom with blue lips. He tried catch her pulse but he couldn't. All he could hear was his own heart pounding in his ears.

Her big round eyes were closed. He waited for them to open and look up into his worried ones.
But no.

She was asleep.
Peacefully.

His gaze found Zaki curled up in the corner looking at her in disbelief.
His teeth chattered vigorously and his eyes were bulging out of its socket.
He couldn't stand the state in which she state was in.
His gaze was fixed.

Musa gulped audibly and pushed her hair away from her face. He again tried to find her pulse but he couldn't.
He sniffed at the loss.

Taking her face in his hands, he looked at her drained face intently and called her.

'Zasha.', a mere whisper left his lips.

He waited for her to stir or slap him for being so near. But his wait seemed to last for forever.

He gazed at Zaki who was in a state of trance, in the corner.

Musa moved her closer into him. Trying to seep his warmth into her cold body, but little did he know that she was in peace.

'Why would you do that?', he murmured only for her to hear.

'Zasha, please wake up.', he pleaded.

He splayed his hand on her chest and tried to feel something.
And he did.

He felt some shallow beats hitting his palm and he shuddered.

'Her heart is still beating.', he said and that jerked Zaki out of his trance.

He crawled towards them and a sob left  Zaki's lips.

'Oh Allah! What has she done?', he cried while cupping her face.

'Zasha!', he called her.

'We must go to the hospital.', Musa said and stood up with her still scooped in his arms.

Zaki rushed out of the room and covered her cold body in a duvet.

Driving had never been this difficult for him. He kept glancing in the mirror where Zaki kept talking to her.

He had already called the hospital for an emergency. The stretchers were ready as soon as they reached the hospital.

The staff rushed her inside and they waited outside patiently.

He heard his phone rang for the hundredth time in these few hours that he kept ignoring.

He knew it was Zaid.

He answered the call.

'Where he fu** have you been? I've been calling you for past two hours. Why the hell are you not attending it?', Zaid hollered from the other side and he kept shut.

What would he say?

That his sister is fighting for her life.

'Musa!', Zaid muttered in hushed voice.

'Is she okay?', he whispered and Musa had nothing to say.

'Say something. I'm not feeling good.', he said.

'Zaid.', he shuddered and sat heavily on the chair.

He looked at Zaki who was sitting across him with his head in his hands. His hunched shaking frame told him that he was crying.