Into the Dark

**Katelyn's POV**

    Three weeks. Apparently, that was how long it took for someone's life to fall apart. The rest of the world marched on like normal, nothing seeming out of the blue to anyone else at Phoenix Academy for the Arts. But to our large group of friends who were always by each other's sides? The entire world seemed to crumble right through our fingertips. Everything happened on what should have been an amazing day, the final day of shows for everyone at PAA.

    "I'll see everyone at the restaurant!" I called over my shoulder, feeling the green paint covering my skin begin to flake off. I had played the lead role of Elphaba in the school's performance of Wicked, and all I can say was that it was a long four months preparing for this past week. But it had all been worth it. Singing on stage, holding everyone's attention captive while Olivia, the senior who had played Glinda, and I had poured our hearts out onto the stage. I had loved every second of playing that role, and to be honest, I'm kinda sad now that it's over.

    It took almost ten minutes to pack up all of my costumes and pieces I had scattered across the dressing room during a quick change and another ten back to my dorm. In about an hour, all of our friends and parents were going to Olive Garden for a giant celebration after our final shows. Both The Nutcracker and Wicked finished today, so every one of our friends was going out. Thank Irene it was already winter break, for I had a feeling that we would be staying out pretty late.

    I ducked my head as I walked through the busy halls, blushing as people stared at the green skin and black hair. I had dyed my natural pale blue hair black for the part, and I was beyond excited to see my normal hair again. But that was a job for another night.

    I turned the key in my door, pushing the wood open and sweeping into the dark room. The door shrieked in protest as I bumped it close with my hip, my hands preoccupied with keeping my costumes and cosmetics from falling to the floor.  After several seconds struggling in the dark, I managed to find the light switch and illuminate the living room. I rushed to my bedroom, throwing everything on top of my bed before joining it, flopping onto my bed and heaving a sigh. I'm sooo tired. I honestly could have fallen asleep right then if my phone hadn't gone off loudly. Groaning, I rolled over and dug through my things, looking for that object of annoyance. Finding it, I squinted at the level of brightness before adjusting enough that I could read the text on the screen.

Cadenza
Once you've showered and changed,
come to Aph's dorm.

Cadenza
Don't take forever. Please

    I frowned at my phone, trying to discern the meaning between the words. When nothing was available, I shrugged at trudged towards the bathroom, peeling off layers with each step. The shower was hot and refreshing with green swirling down the drain. But the entire time I couldn't help but think about Cadenza's text. Was something wrong? Or were we just getting together before dinner? Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing Aph at the show. Did she just have to leave early?

    By the end of my shower my mind was racing through all of the possibilities of what exactly could have happened. I changed as quickly as possible, throwing my still-black hair up into a ponytail before grabbing my wallet and keys and rushing out the dorm, barely remembering to lock the door behind me.

    Aph only lived two floors down, but the ride in the elevator felt like one of the longest in my life. I flew past the doors before they were completely open, almost running as I made my way to Aphmau's dorm. I was so nervous I walked right past the door at first.

    Knocking on the door, I opened it slightly, peeking inside. I was greeted with the sounds of hushed conversation that made my stomach drop. I came inside, shutting the door gently behind me. The only lights in the entire apartment were coming from Aph's room, so I made my way through the darkened room as quietly as I could. Dottie must have heard me because she appeared in the doorway right as I arrived.

    "Thank Irene you're here." Her eyes were glistening, her ears drooping against her hair. I took her hands in mine, squeezing them tightly as I searched for an answer. She shuddered, looking down at our hands. "It's Aph..."

    Irene that night was terrible. Cadenza, Dottie, and I spent the whole night in Aphmau's room and listening. Listening to every terrible thing that had happened since the beginning of the school year. Everything that Aphmau had kept inside. I'm so surprised it hadn't torn her apart before this, that it took four months to actually get to her.

    The worst part was that she never told anyone. She could have told me or Aaron or her mom, but she chose to keep the hurt locked up inside of her heart until it shattered into a thousand pieces that would never be completely picked up. And in the three weeks since then... nothing's gotten any better.

    That is, until a certain guy showed up at her door.