Her Special Gift

**Cadenza's POV**

"Thank you. That will be all for today." The teacher curtsied, and the rest of us did the same. Everyone in the humid dance room quickly grabbed their things and left, needing to be in the fresh air.

I reached up and pulled my fiery hair out of its ponytail, shaking my head and feeling it fall down my back. I shouldered my bag and left the room, the arches of my feet on fire.

"You look dead," Aaron commented as he stood up. He had been sitting on the bench outside my class as he always did. His class finished fifteen minutes before mine, so he waited for me to finish before we went back to the dorms.

I groaned which caused him to laugh. We started down the long hallway leading towards the lobby. We started talking about nonsense things such as things coming up in classes or who was dating who in our friend groups.

We were interrupted by a flying Meif'wa headed straight for us. "Aaron! Cadenza!" Nana skidded to a stop in front of us, grinning and panting ever so slightly. "Hurry up! Cast list's been posted, and I don't want to look without you two!" I exchanged a look with Aaron. He looked ever so nervous before a frown crossed over his face.

"What about Aph? Is she here?" Nana shook her head, deflating ever so slightly.

"When I was headed here for class, she was leaving. She told me her teacher sent her back to her dorm because she isn't feeling good. I did hear there's a bug going around."

"Aww, poor thing! How about we stop by after we see the list? We can take a picture for her." Nana nodded, already bounding forwards towards the lobby full of anxious young adults. I glanced towards Aaron and almost started laughing.

He didn't think I knew, but it was so obvious. He wore his heart on his sleeve whenever it was about her. During auditions, it was like he was almost jealous that she was paired with someone else. She's the only one that makes him laugh like crazy, and ever since she's come back he's been... happy. I could never really do that for him.

Alright, I admit, I had a crush on him for a while. When he came to Phoenix Drop High after going to military school for three years, he was so mysterious and different from the boy we had all known three years prior. He didn't talk much, rarely smiled, and got into fights for no good reason. I have to say I was attracted.

But later on, I realized that he just needed a friend. That's all he's ever needed. That's why he wasn't happy when he came back. None of us had really stayed in touch, and I guess he just expected everything to go back to how they were when he came back. They didn't though. But I became his good friend again, and even though he's opened up to the others, I feel like Jeffory and I were the closest to him.

Until Aphmau. She showed up one day and suddenly he was the old Aaron, the one who could laugh at anything and joke around with anyone. And that was the Aaron I loved. I have grown to think of him more as a brother these past couple weeks. Someone I can turn to but also expect to have a life of their own.

"Come on slowpokes!" Nana called, and I giggled.

"Oh alright!" I chased her down the hall, throwing my bag at Aaron. He caught it effortlessly with a grin before running after us, the three of us laughing like children playing tag.

Finally, we arrived in the lobby and we pushed our way through the crowd. Several people glanced at Aaron, and I couldn't help but feel a few stares myself. My heart started to race, and I was unable to see anything else except the piece of paper pinned to the board.

I took my gaze from top to bottom, wanting to see what Nana got. Also, I was nervous about my part, scared I would get something crappy.

Party Teens- Natalie Hamma, Kelsey David, Azlea Vonk, Leah Hash, Nana Chance, Jillian Epstein
Snowflakes- Natalie Hamma, Taylor Wright, Kelsey David, Nana Chance, Azlea Vonk, Victoria Wadpole, Jenny Amorin
Arabian- Taylor Wright, Jenny Amorin, Emily Rapposelli, Victoria Wadpole, Nana Chance