Return Home

**Aphmau's POV**

    "This is it." A large grey house rose up before us, one of many in the circular neighborhood of my childhood. I shivered, remembering the last time I had been here. I had left in tears, saying goodbye to friends who had stood on the circle of grass in the center of the community.

    "Hey." Ivy reached out and took my hand, giving me a smile. "If she's smart, she'll welcome you back." I sighed, putting my hand on the door handle.

    "Or she might not even live here anymore." I pushed the door open, and Ivy remained in her seat. "You sure you don't want to come?" She nodded, pulling out her phone.

    "Yeah. You need to meet your mom again on your own terms. I don't want to make it awkward." She gave me a smile before turning to her phone, pink hair falling over her eyes. I pushed my shoulders back and closed the car door. A black skirt brushed around my knees, and a white blouse revealed my shoulders. I wore white wedges, and my hair was pulled half-up-half-down. I wanted to look my very best when meeting my mother again after so long.

I walked up the stone pathway and stopped on the doorstep, heart racing. I licked my chapped lips and wiped my sweaty hands on my skirt. I rang the doorbell and stepped back. I glanced at the car behind me, and Ivy gave me a thumbs up. I looked back just in time to see the door pulled open. On the other side was a young blue-haired woman with pale skin and piercing blue eyes. She was wearing jean shorts and a brown and white striped shirt.

    "Yes?" Her voice was slightly monotone, but there was a tint of curiosity. I cleared my throat and raised my head, and I realized that the top of my head reached to about her nose. Oh, why do I have to be so short?

    "I'm looking for Ms. Phoenix? Does she still live here?" The woman nodded before turning her head and calling back into the house.

    "Sylvanna! There's someone at the door for you!" A lump formed in my throat, and my heart rate increased. I'm actually meeting her. I'm meeting her. I heard footsteps, and a woman walked into my vision from the direction that must have been the kitchen.

    "What is it, Katelyn?" She was drying her hands on a towel, but when her gaze focused on me, it slipped out of her hands. I stared at her, feeling like I was looking my twin in the face. She was short, maybe even shorter than me. Long black hair with streaks of grey was pulled back into a ponytail, framing soft hazel eyes. Tan skin was covered by a blue-grey blouse and black pants, and if I were to go into the future and see myself, well, I think I'll look exactly like her.

    "H-Hi, Ms. Phoenix. I-I'm... I'm... I'm Aphmau." Her eyes filled with tears, and she stepped closer, putting her hands on my shoulders.

    "Oh... it really is you... my little Mija..." I smiled sadly, and her smile brought me back to simpler times. "Oh you're all grown up... you're eighteen now right?" I nodded, and a sigh slipped out of her lips, and she looked at the young woman. "Katelyn, I'd like you to meet my... my daughter, Aphmau-"

    "Phoenix." I interrupted, giving her a smile. "I don't want any claims with Dad anymore." Her eyes widened ever so slightly, but before she could speak, Katelyn spoke up.

    "I didn't know you had a daughter Sylvanna. Does Dad know?" Sylvanna, for I couldn't think of her as my mom just yet, nodded. Katelyn looked me up and down before turning abruptly. "I'll leave you two to catch up." She padded up the wooden steps, leaving me and Sylvanna alone.

    We stood there in awkward silence for several seconds before Sylvanna cleared her throat. "Would you like to come inside? It... it would be nice to get to know you again." I was about to nod, but then I remembered Ivy and Celestia in the car.

    "I-I would love to... but my friend and dog are waiting in the car. I'm going to Phoenix Academy for the Arts, and-" She raised her hand, and I stopped talking.

    "Say no more! Your friend and dog can come inside if they want; it's been too long since a dog has been in my house. Besides, Katelyn goes to PAA too. The two of you can head there together!" I smiled, finding it impossible to stay afraid in her presence.

    "Thanks. I'll let her know." I turned and walked to my car, a smile still on my face. I knocked on the window, and when Ivy rolled it down, I motioned with my head. "Come on. Bring Celestia." She smiled at me, grabbing hold of Celestia's leash. Together, the two of us walked back up the lane. Celeste started to bark when she saw Sylvanna by the door.

    "Oh, isn't she a pretty doggy!" She cooed, and Celeste wagged her tail, yipping and tilting her head. I giggled, crouching down and scratching her ears.

    "Her name's Celestia, but I call her Celeste. Oh, and this is my good friend Ivy." Ivy stuck out her hand, and Sylvanna shook it.

    "Nice to meet you, Ms. Phoenix. May I say that you and Aph look almost exactly alike?" I giggled again, and Sylvanna chuckled.

    "And she should be proud of it! Much better to look like me than that jerk of a man Zach." She huffed, and again I giggled. "Oh, come in, come in! I'll scrounge up some snacks- oh! I'll make quesadillas! They were your favorite as a kid." I laughed, and the three of us followed her into the kitchen. Ivy and I sat at stools at the kitchen counter, and Celeste barked at me until I picked her up and held her on my lap.

    "So, Aphmau, what brings you back to Phoenix Drop? I thought your father moved the two of you to O'kasis?" I sighed, holding Celeste and watching my mom make her way around the kitchen.

    "Well, he did. I met Ivy here there, as well as another girl named Teony. Dad... well, I have no idea why he thought it would be okay, but I'm pretty sure he paid the school to have me skip a few years. I joined the new school in fifth grade instead of third, and it was super awkward. But I went through school and met Ivy and Teony. I tried to get into PAA for two years, but only just got in this year. Dad didn't want me to go at all. I think he wanted me to be a doctor like him. So...about seven months ago I snapped on him and walked out. I've been living with the girls ever since. Well, until now." I summed up, looking down at the little husky in my arms.

    Sylvanna hummed, setting a plate down in front of me. "Well, I'm glad you stood up for what you want. What are you majoring in?"

    "Dance," I replied, taking a slice of the quesadilla in front of me. I bit into it, and immediately flavor exploded in my mouth. "Mmm! My Irene this is delicious!" She laughed, and finally, I looked up at the woman in front of me. Even though I had just gotten back in touch with her, I could tell that she cared. She still loved me after all these years of silence. And I wanted to love her just the same.