Alone With Him

**Aphmau's POV**

As the music for the Pas de Deux began, I tried to let myself relax, looking straight at Aaron as the music filled the empty studio. Dancing with Aaron these past couple of months has been such a pleasure, that I'm almost sad for it to end. I've never felt so free, so... beautiful before this year. When he lifts me up above his head, my own arms above mine, it felt like I was flying. Of course, it was terrifying, knowing the only things keeping me from crashing to the floor were Aaron's hands on one of my legs and my stomach. But Irene it felt so amazing.

After a long five minutes, the dance ended, leaving both of us breathing hard. I looked up at him, smiling through the exhaustion. "That was a good run." He grinned back at me, pushing me up so I was back on my feet. Today was our last rehearsal before tech week for The Nutcracker, and Aaron and I were staying late to run over our variation together. It was one of the hardest dances in the show, and even though Aaron and I did dance much throughout the performance, the last few dances were ours for us to shine.

"I can't believe we have the first show on Friday night. It seems like this year has flown by all too quickly." Aaron observed as we each got a drink of water. I nodded, straightening the pancake tutu I was wearing. The reason I was wearing the tutu was so the two of us could practice with how it would affect the way Aaron would hold me as he lifted me. It had thrown us off a little at the beginning, but during the last run, we had performed perfectly.

"It's been really nice dancing with you." My eyes moved to meet his. As soon as they did, I fought the sudden urge to look away. I smiled lightly, closing my water and putting back in my bag. I felt his gaze follow me, and my own flicked back to him.

"Don't say it like it's over. We still have the rest of the year together." I sighed, leaning against the barre. My hands moved up to my bun, started to pull out the bobby pins digging into my head.

"But then you're gone. You'll be graduated and going off on your own." My arms fell to my side, bobby pins clenched in my fists.

"Hey." Aaron reached out, grabbing one of my wrists. I looked away, feeling a sinking feeling deep in my gut. "I won't leave. Alright? I'll stay right here in Phoenix Drop, and you better visit me often." I looked back at him with a smile, and he released my wrist.

"Thanks, Aaron. I'll... I'll see you in class tomorrow." Picking up my bag, I slung it over my shoulder. I waved at him before leaving the studio, my entire body sore.

"W-wait!" I turned back, seeing him leaning out the door, something close to nervousness flashing over his face. "Would you like to go dinner Thursday night after dress rehearsal to celebrate? Cadenza and Nana will be there as well." I bit my lip, looking at the ground.

"I would love to, but..." As I struggled for the words, Aaron sighed.

"You'll be tired."

"I have a date."

We spoke the words at the same time, and as soon as the words left my mouth, he looked at me in surprise.

"With who?" I blushed, my hands clasped behind my back.

"Ein Whistler. He plays the Nutcracker. He... he asked me out on a date yesterday. I'm sorry, I really want to go with you guys-"

"It's alright. I understand." For some reason, his words seemed curt and underneath them, there was another emotion, one that I couldn't quite understand.

I smiled at him, wanting him to understand that I really meant it. Aaron turned away from me, giving me a wave.

"See you tomorrow Aphmau." As soon as the door of the studio closed, I felt a sudden bolt of hurt. It's not my fault I'm into someone.

I whirled around, leaving the building as fast as I could. Something was churning in the pit of my stomach, and it wasn't a feeling I enjoyed.

Looking back on it now, that was the moment it first began. The moment when my heart wasn't my own anymore.