Chapter 10

Alessa

I sat at an armchair by the window aimlessly twirling a throwing knife between my fingers as I pondered over the events that occurred yesterday at the barbecue party.

Soulmates.

Tingles.

Simon.

I groaned frustratedly as I leaned back into the chair. Why was I so worked up?

"Don-"

I snapped my head in the direction of the voice and hurled the throwing knife in its direction.
It lodged itself in the door frame right next to the ear of the poor guard who had interrupted my thoughts.

"Cosa?" I hissed.

"Le chiedo perdono, but Signore Cesare wanted me to inform you of the updates he found on Simon King." The guard stammered.

I bolted out of my chair. "Take me to him." I demanded.
.
.
.
"So, I haven't found much, but I thought I'd share what information I found," Cesare said, eyebrows furrowed. "I haven't gathered much, but I have gathered some solid evidence. I-"

"Spit it out, Cesare," Lorenzo rolled his eyes.

"I was getting to it," Cesare hissed.

"Stai ziti, the both of you!" I snapped. I motioned for Cesare to continue.

Cesare rubbed his hands together as he began.
"As we already know, Simon King and his group of friends are believed to live together, in some sort of a community, along with other people."

I made an impatient wave of my hand. "Si, si."

"What I also found was that the other people that live in this community all attend our school as well." Cesare continued.

My eyebrows furrowed.

"And that's not all. Cesare pulled up a CCTV image on his laptop and spun it around to face us. I hacked into the school's database, hoping to find some footage and this is what I found." He said, playing the video.

The grainy footage showed a view of the busy cafeteria as students walked in and out of the frame.

"Aaannnd, stop! Right here! Did you see that?" He exclaimed as he pointed at the screen frantically.

"See what, idiota?" Lorenzo rolled his eyes.

"Here, let me slow it down for you." Cesare pressed a few buttons on his keyboard and showed us again.

As I looked intently at the screen, I saw a blur of movement weaving through the other students. As I scanned the faces of the other students, they seemed oblivious to whatever was moving past them.

Cesare pressed a few buttons again that zoomed into the blur. "And check this out." He said with barely contained excitement.
The zoomed in image revealed the face of a person.

"Carter," we all said in unison.
.
.
.
"What you're suggesting right now is that these people have inhuman speed, right?" I looked at Cesare for confirmation. "Then what you're implying here is that they are not human." I emphasized.

"Exactly," was Cesare's unfazed reply.

Lorenzo snorted. "I knew you were stupid, Cesare, but I didn't know you were this stupid."

"I'm not stupid, testa di cazzo," Cesare retired as he started to rise from his seat.

"Sit down," I commanded, pointing my finger at Cesare. "And stop provoking him," I glared at Lorenzo.

"I understand what you're trying to say, Cesare, but if we look at things realistically, your explanation doesn't make sense." I sighed, twirling my knife between my fingers.

"I know, I know. But you can't deny the evidence. What about the incident at the barbecue party? He was at the front of the house one moment then poof he was right in front of you! It all makes sense!" Cesare exclaimed.

I held up my hand to silence him. "No. This is not enough. Come back to me when you have something more substantial." I said as I got up to leave, stabbing my knife into the coffee table in front of us.
.
.
.
This is ridiculous. I thought as I paced back in forth in my room. Here I am, worrying about mere high schoolers when I should be focusing on the Camorra case instead. But something about Simon and his friends just didn't sit right with me and I needed to get to the bottom of it.

Could they possibly be working for the Camorra?

The ringing of my phone jolted me out of my thoughts. I smirked as I saw the caller ID and quickly picked up the phone.

"Ciao, Carter. How are you?" I said sweetly.

"Arabella! I'm doing great. I just wanted to call to thank you for attending the barbecue yesterday." Cesare said oddly.

I raised my eyebrows as I let him continue stuttering.

"It's just - I know what happened yesterday may seem kind of weird - I mean, not weird, but more surprising? But - you know, Simon was a, uh, track star! That's it, he was a track star. That's why he can run really fast - like, really fast."

I raised my eyebrows in skepticism. Uh huh.

"Oh, I totally understand, Carter. There's nothing to worry about." I said. "What are you guys doing right now?"

"Oh n-nothing much. You know, the usual." He stammered.

"Then you wouldn't mind if my friends and I came over, right? Since you're not busy." I said smirking.

"Well, actually um-" he started.

"Great! We'll be over in an hour. Make sure to send your address. Ciao!" I quickly hung up the phone.

I quickly texted Lorenzo and Cesare. Get ready. We're paying them a visit.

So so sorry for the long wait! I hope you enjoyed :)